Purpose of Position: Provide foster children and foster parents with case management, counseling and foster home support. Ensure that foster home care is a sustainable alternative to residential care.
Summary of Essential Job Functions:
- Case Management:
- Utilize Collaborative Problem Solving as a strengths-based, neurobiologically-grounded approach to support children in care.
- Provide strengths-based individual counseling and skill building to children in care a minimum of once weekly.
- Conduct ongoing case management and respectfully engage with youth, family, treatment teams, community partners, and other GOBHI Staff to support the goals of the child and family team.
- Lead the development of strengths-based service planning in a team setting. Create and regularly update service plans to reflect changing goals of the child and team. Develop therapeutic interventions to assist the child in care in achieving behavioral goals.
- Complete documentation within timelines and maintain compliance with Oregon Administrative Rule (OAR).
- Coordinate care to ensure the child has access to physical, dental, and mental health care as needed and required by OAR.
- Facilitate a coordinated transition of services for children in care when transitioning out of the GOBHI Foster Care program.
- Dispense and monitor medications if need in compliance with OAR.
- Provide 24-hour crisis response at assigned times (in rotation with other team members).
- Gather and analyze information and confirm safe, therapeutic environments through interviews, observations, and other source materials of the proctor foster parents.
- Conduct home visits, assure compliance and confirm a safe environment for children in care.
- Re-assess certified families on an ongoing basis and assure recertification compliance requirements are met at a minimum of every year.
- Document assessment activities, write comprehensive home studies, and complete other documentation requirements per OAR and GOBHI policy.
- Assure completion of background and reference checks for criminal history, child abuse, and personal references.
- Assist proctor foster parents in providing appropriate treatment of children in care.
- Collaboration with Team Members and Communities:
- Coordinate services with other agencies to support the child in care and proctor foster parents.
- Partner with the child and family team to support the needs of the child in care.
- Travel to community meetings and events to represent GOBHI.
- Support efforts of local system of care committees to strengthen Oregon communities.
- Engage local communities to raise awareness related to foster care and recruit additional proctor foster parents.
Competencies and Skills Requirements:
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Flexible; able to multi-task in response to time-sensitive and changing situations;
- Effective listening skills;
- Objective, solution-oriented problem solving skills;
- Handles highly sensitive and confidential information;
- Resourceful, able to network and connect people to appropriate resources;
- Technology savvy, comfortable using MS software products;
- Strong planning and organizational skills and follows through;
- Effective presentation skills, including public speaking and meeting facilitation;
- Resilient, stays positive and solution-oriented;
- Perceptive, discovers underlying issues in situations and re-states them in a helpful way;
Education and Experience Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree required, with major study in social work, psychology, sociology, or a closely allied field, and two years of experience in the care and treatment of children and youth; or
- Master's degree, with major study in social work or closely allied field and one year of experience in the care and treatment of children and youth.
Physical Demands of Position:
- Position requires regular frequent travel within service delivery area and some out of service area travel including overnight travel.
- Physically able to lift up to 50 pounds (materials/equipment).
- Effective use of computer, laptop, cell phone and other mobile devices to exchange information within remote travel areas.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Job Type: Full-time