Examination Management Services, Inc., EMSI, is a national firm that provides a variety of risk management services to the insurance and business communities. We are customer driven and technology focused, with a commitment to providing cutting edge business solutions and service excellence to our customers.
EMSI's Underwriting Department is seeking experienced Individual Life Underwriters to provide full underwriting, as well as support other lines of underwriting business to our customers. This work from home opportunity can be full or part time, including flexible nights and weekend hours. The Underwriter works closely with other member of the Underwriting team to become proficient at the customer’s Underwriting policies and procedures, medical terminology, physiology, anatomy, pharmacology, insurance and underwriting operations. This position is involved in reviewing all information associated with the customer’s application process and making final decision on the application for insurance in accordance with the customers internal and reinsurance guidelines and industry best practice.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Reviews all pertinent information provided during the application process and makes a final determination to issue, decline, rate up or post pone underwriting decision
- Reviews of upfront underwriting data/tools, including internal and external underwriting manuals
- Conducting tele-interview with clients to complete their medical history by asking probing questions and detecting gaps, while balancing great customer service
- Handling additional underwriting requirements by determining value, ordering, and reviewing to perform risk selection
- Finalizing cases
- Data entry of medical history and utilize system work benches to process and decision cases
- Demonstrate dependability, organization, and sound judgement by adhering to schedules and meeting all productivity, quality, and performance standards.
Strong PC and typing skills to include general MS Office skills required to data enter and process information; must be extremely comfortable with web based underwriting analysis tools and imaging systems
Effective written and verbal communication skills with ability to build rapport and gain acceptance at all levels while exercising tact, diplomacy, and resourcefulness
Critical thinking skills and attention to details with ability to quickly identify information my categorizing, estimating, recognizing differences or similarities and detecting changes in circumstances or events
Ability to interpret meaning of information for others; translating or explaining what information means and how it can be used
Ability to develop specific goals, plan, and prioritize work
EKG and Cardiac test interpretations preferred
Ability to travel for up to 2 weeks at a time for training
Work Experience Requirements:
Minimum 3 years HOME OFFICE Life underwriting experience having underwritten life within last 2 years
Minimum $1,500,000 approval limits without second sign (all ratings including declinations)
Minimum review authority $2,000,000
Special Consideration given to highly technical, reinsurance, and brokerage underwriting experience with approval authorities in excess of $7,000,000.
Brokerage/Carrier underwriting experience preferred
Familiar with Swiss Re and Gen Re underwriting manuals/guidelines
Prior experience underwriting group, supplemental health, disability and long-term care desired
Undergraduate degree or equivalent work experience
Completion of insurance related coursework and/or accreditations
EMSI is proud to be an EEO-AA employer Male/Female/Disabled/Veteran and maintains a Drug-Free Workplace.