Underground Distribution Construction Manager
LaFata Contract Services manages small and large-scale construction services for gas and electrical utilities. We create solutions for our valued utility partners, supplementing their industry expertise and expanding their talented project management teams to improve and enhance service to their customers.
We are a regional partner and employer, providing growth opportunities for talented utility workers while also providing construction project leadership for our clients.
Primary Duties and Accountabilities:
We are currently seeking to fill several Construction Manager openings. These positions are responsible for the organization, scheduling, mobilizing, and coordination of distribution construction activities in the electric power industry. These individuals will provide constructability review on engineering design and walk down; assist in the work scope development for construction bid documents and assist project managers in bid evaluation; manage construction processes to effectively meet scope of work, while monitoring costs, quality, and schedule performance; manage site safety including the performance of safety audits and initiating corrective action as necessary; manage material availability; issue weekly status reports as required by the customer; review, manage, and initiate field change requests to document field discrepancies; and manage the adherence to the client’s prints and standards.
Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate a high level of skill and knowledge in construction project management as well as Distribution rebuild and installation.
These positions report to the LCS Lead Distribution Construction Manager and are responsible for all construction activities as well as construction support for conversions and circuit reconfigurations.
Additional roles and responsibilities:
- Manages electrical and civil projects from conception through completion, ensuring all work is performed to standards, within budget, and on schedule. Minimize conditions which may adversely affect projects.
- Responsible and accountable for overall project performance including, scope, quality, schedule, and innovation for the most complex and high risk projects. Manage construction resources to maximize productivity, safety, quality, and cost savings. Monitor project performance and resolve engineering design issues, field barriers, and delays, all in an effort to maintain the project schedule.
- Serves as the primary communicator between project management, work groups, and key stakeholders on project issues.
- Leads job site walk downs and all meetings with engineering, construction, and contract management personnel.
- Monitors project safety and performs weekly safety audits, verifies job briefings, and conducts safety tailgates. Assists on Root Cause Investigations, Apparent Case Evaluations or other incident reviews as requested.
- Possesses a strong knowledge of electrical schematics.
- Ensures a good daily working relationship between the project manager, line managers, and those employees assigned to the project.
- Ensures project costs are managed, including development of recovery plan to stay within budget limits.
- Ensures project team members understand their respective responsibilities.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- All applicants must possess a Bachelor’s Degree Engineering, Construction Management or possess a high school diploma and 15 plus years of equivalent work experience in distribution construction management for an electric utility
- Must have 15 years of distribution construction experience in the electric power industry
- Must have experience in primary voltage underground utility construction
- Applicants must hold electrical safety tags to support contractor work on primary and/or secondary distribution equipment.
- Applicants must be able to coordinate work scope within outage windows.
- Applicants must be able to coordinate work scope with multiple work groups or contractors.
- Extensive electrical utility experience is required.
- Applicants must be proficient users of Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Applicants must possess a deep knowledge of OSHA safety policies.
- Successful applicants will be OSHA 30 trained or will be willing to obtain training (supplied by LCS).
- Applicants must understand Lock Out Tag Out (LOTO) procedure and become a qualified Clearance Holder
- Applicants must possess good written and oral communications skills and have proven analytical experience.
- Applicants must possess knowledge of Project Management concepts and principles.
- Experience administering large dollar projects is required.
- Previous supervisory experience is required.
- Successful applicants will also be able to demonstrate business acumen and communicate effectively across multiple levels, both internally and externally.
Any offer of employment is conditional upon the successful completion of a drug screening as well as a background investigation.
These full-time positions are based in:
- Philadelphia, PA; King of Prussia, PA; and surrounding area
LaFata Contract Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information regarding this position, submit three references (including name, company, title, working relationship, email address, and phone), a resume, and a cover letter detailing your experience, your ability to meet all position requirements, and your interest in this role to.
Only qualified candidates will be considered.
Job Type: Full-time
- Underground Distribution Construction Management: 10 years
Required work authorization: