The Cleveland Indians are seeking an analyst to join the team's Baseball Research and Development group with a focus on answering questions specific to sports science. The position will use data and statistics to provide research and analysis to support the Indians' player development, medical, S&C, and sports science staff in helping Indians players perform at optimal levels. This individual will work closely with other analysts in the R&D department as well as sports science, player development, medical, strength & conditioning, and other staff members across the organization. The ideal candidate will possess a strong foundation in statistics and/or data science, the ability to effectively communicate findings to colleagues in non-technical roles, and a passion for learning more about baseball. Strong applicants will demonstrate curiosity, creativity, and the ability to learn new concepts.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Analyze and interpret baseball data with a focus on sports science
- Research, build, test, and deploy statistical models to support Baseball Operations
- Design and implement research studies to improve organizational knowledge in sports science
- Visualize data in concise, readable formats for non-technical staff members
- Communicate research findings to key stakeholders across the organization
- Work with sports science, strength & conditioning, and medical departments to capture player performance data
- Evaluate and recommend new data sources and technologies
Role Requirements and Preferences
Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor's degree or demonstrated work experience in a quantitative field such as statistics, mathematics, computer science, operations research, economics, or data science
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems in a data-driven way
- Creativity to brainstorm new avenues of research
- Demonstrated passion for baseball analytics and/or sports science.
- Proficiency in at least one statistical programming language (e.g. R, Python)
- Proficiency in a database language (e.g. SQL)
- Ability to communicate research findings and other technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Working knowledge of advanced baseball statistics and publicly available research
- Advanced degree in a quantitative field
- Experience working with baseball data
- Experience with data visualization
- Experience with experimental design and/or causal inferenc
- Reads, speaks, comprehends and communicates English effectively in all communications.
- Represents the Cleveland Indians in a positive fashion to all business partners and the general public.
- Ability to develop and maintain successful working relationship with members of the Front Office.
- Ability to act according to the organizational values and service excellence at all times.
- Ability to work with multicultural populations and have a commitment to fairness and equality.
- Ability to walk, sit or stand for an entire shift.
- Ability to work extended days and hours, including holidays and weekends.
- Ability to move throughout all areas and levels of the Ballpark.
- Ability to work in a diverse and changing environment.
- Occasional physical activity such as lifting and carrying boxes up to 25lbs.