Full Job Description
Do you share a commitment to a sustainable planet? Do you feel compelled to make a difference in the race to slow down climate change? Ice911 is looking for an outstanding individual who brings proven leadership and management skills to be our Technical Director. We are seeking a strong and experienced professional to ensure the continued success and safety of Ice911’s technology and help lead our technical team to the next level of global impact. Our goal is to prove and scale our solution while there is still time.
*About Ice911 Research
Ice911 is a 501(c)3 Silicon Valley nonprofit dedicated to Arctic climate restoration. Our Vision is to demonstrate a safe method for Arctic ice restoration in time to help stabilize the global climate. Our Mission is to prove to the world that we can preserve and restore Arctic ice, and help establish international policy, governance and funding for adoption of the solution by local communities, governments and global institutions. Our founding principles are (1) Do no harm; (2) Maximize a positive impact with the smallest possible intervention; (3) Work with accountability, transparency, and permission; (4) Take a scientifically-rigorous approach; (5) Work in partnership with indigenous, local, regional, and global communities; (6) Be excellent stewards of our financial resources to restore Arctic ice.
We conduct research, development, safety testing and field deployments to demonstrate a safe, effective and cost-efficient method to restore Arctic ice, informed by expert climate modeling and on-the-ground measurement. We aim to demonstrate that we can stabilize the global climate through Arctic ice restoration and slow the devastating effects of climate change. Our ultimate goal is to provide national governments and international organizations with a proven methodology to slow global warming. These entities can then implement these proven methods at scale to give the world much-needed time to complete the implementation of long-term sustainable energy and conservation solutions.*
Ice911 is entering a dynamic growth phase. We are quickly transitioning from start-up phase to a mature organization. Significantly increasing funding is enabling rapid capacity building across all areas of the organization. For the incoming Technical Director, the next several years at Ice911 will present a rewarding leadership opportunity in an organization founded on innovation, integrity, teamwork and a commitment to diversity and equity. You will help us lead the technical team to achieve our vision and carry out our mission. *
For more detailed information about us, our approach, values, team and partners, visit our website at https://www.ice911.org/
- Oversee day to day program operations
- Have complete understanding of technical goals, timeline, and capabilities and of all technical elements of the organization
- Hire, mentor and lead technical team in partnership with CTO and Executive Director
The Ideal Candidate for Technical Director:
You are a strategic and inspirational leader who will provide direction and leadership for the organization’s technical team keeping in mind our mission, vision and development. You will report directly to the Executive Director, working closely with the ED and the Chief Technology Officer on strategy and forecasting as well as provide leadership and direction for the engineers and interns you are managing. You will represent the organization and its work at scientific and industry conferences. While the organization undergoes rapid growth, you will use your skills to work directly to ensure we maintain a world class technical team and continue to develop and advance our technical goals. You will supervise or do various operational tasks as needed, while leading in the recruitment and hiring of key new staff.
Core Competencies and Expectations:
- Experience growing, recruiting, hiring, and leading a strong technical team
- Know how to set a fast-organizational development pace and execute to meet that pace.
- Have well-developed strategic acumen.
- Manage with integrity and have a high EQ.
- Manage and provide leadership to existing and future technical staff to build a strong and cohesive team.
- Be able to support and communicate with your coworkers in all areas of the organization.
- Maintain a solid understanding of the different programmatic components that comprise Ice911’s technical portfolio.
- Identify best practices and improve internal systems with an eye toward future needs and budgetary realities.
- Measure the effectiveness of internal and external processes; implement process improvements to drive effectiveness.
- Provide timely, accurate and complete reports on the operating and financial condition of the technical arm of the organization; implement performance improvement plans where necessary.
- Assure Ice911 follows all regulatory requirements with respect to our testing.
- Lead in a safety-first culture.
- Expeditiously recruit, hire, and supervise a well-qualified and capable staff.
- Understand how to manage change in a rapidly evolving organization.
- Know how to manage and lead people through the difficulties associated with rapid organizational growth.
- Demonstrate ability to think broadly and creatively.
- Develop and maintain local, national and international professional relationships and partnerships that help attract resources and leverage our work.
- Work effectively and constructively with the Founder/CTO.
- Know how to work with a broad spectrum of personalities and differing skills and priorities. Experience working effectively with a wide range of stakeholders
- Build and maintain strong relationships with donors, scientific and technical communities, the public, and policy regulators.
- Deep understanding of electrical, mechanical, and computer science technical concepts
- Experience working in the field under less than ideal, or harsh conditions
- Experience scaling technical solutions
- Understanding of and respect for environmental regulatory processes.
- Experience working within non-profit organizations.
- Real-world experience in bringing technical solutions to reality.
Required skills & experience
- Minimum of five years of progressively more responsible experience in technical leadership and management of a not-for-profit, for-profit, government or comparable organization
- Advanced degree and/or demonstrated professional experience in a field directly related to Ice911’s mission and our work.
- Demonstrated excellent leadership and teaching skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to environmental issues.
- A track record of thinking broadly and creatively.
- A reputation for good judgment, fairness and integrity.
- Proven ability to work well with others who are in a variety of roles, such as Board members, colleagues, direct reports, customers, consultants, student interns, volunteers, funders and regulators. Demonstrated success in leading effective teams.
- A reputation for insisting on excellence and coaching others to deliver it.
- Demonstrated skills in organizational development, personnel management, budget and resource development, and strategic planning.
- Demonstrated flexibility, ability to multitask; and ability to succeed in an ambiguous, fast-moving environment, while also driving toward clarity and solutions.
- Natural leader and motivator of people; able to attract, develop, retain and promote key talent, while driving collaborative, inclusive and respectful teamwork across the organization.
Start date: as soon as possible but no later than June 2020
Deadline for applications: March 15 or until position is filled
Compensation: Ice911 offers a competitive compensation package including full medical and dental benefits. We recognize the value of employee work-life balance and provide generous vacation and holiday benefits including paid time-off between Christmas and New Year’s Day. Though candidates from beyond the Bay Area are encouraged to apply, funds are not currently available for relocation or housing assistance.
Confidential Application Process: Email your cover letter (Word or PDF document) summarizing your interest, experience, fit with desired qualifications and compensation requirements along with a current resume to Dr. Steve Zornetzer, Search Committee Chair, at careers (at) ice911.org. Please put “Ice911 Technical Director Search” in the subject field. Resumes must have a cover letter in order to be considered. Inquiries from candidates are welcomed and should also be directed to Steve.
The Ice911 current office and laboratory is located in Redwood City, Silicon Valley, CA.
Equal Opportunity Employer: All candidates are welcome. Ice911 Research is committed to diversity and inclusion and prohibits discrimination based on any protected characteristic, including discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, citizenship, political activity or affiliation, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information veteran status, military status, sexual orientation sex or gender (which includes harassment and discrimination based on gender identity, gender expression transgender status, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Job Type: Full-time
- technical and leadership: 7 years (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Paid time off