As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For detailed information on Benefits for this position, click here.
Please note that this position has been reposted. If you have already submitted your application, you need not submit it again, as it has already been received.
As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty. All of which has allowed the UW to be nationally recognized as a “Great College to Work For” for six consecutive years.
The UW Finance Transformation Program (UWFT) is a $270M initiative to replace the University’s financial systems with an integrated system to manage the full suite of financial transactions and reporting needs in the UW system – to include academic, administrative, and healthcare. UWFT will fundamentally change the processes and tools that the University employs to track, spend, collect, manage, and report University finances in excess of $7B in annual revenues, resulting in more timely and actionable information for leadership. Among the UW’s highest administrative priorities, this multi-year initiative is one of the largest finance system projects in Washington State and the outcome of the program will be highly visible at all levels of the University and the state.
UWFT has an outstanding opportunity for a Training Lead.
The UWFT Training Lead is a member of the Organizational Change Management team, focusing on the strategic development of training associated with both Workday (system) functionality and end-to-end business processes. With the implementation of a new financial system, and associated business processes, the UW is fundamentally changing the way business operates across the enterprise, to include academic, research, healthcare and administrative units. This position will ultimately be responsible for ensuring that impacted central business units, shared services units, and end users are well informed about the end-to-end business process, and how to complete complex transactions in the system.
This position establishes the training strategy, working independently and as part of a team to design, develop, and deliver training materials, project documentation, and computer-based and instructor-led curriculum for Workday to the University enterprise. This position requires skills in determining the requirements of a diverse community and the ability to understand all components of the curriculum (presentations, computer-based trainings, assessments, etc.) in order to lead a team to develop relevant and appropriate training materials.
This position is further responsible for building a team of Training Developers, Trainers, and campus partners who can train their colleagues on new business processes and transactions. This position must build a strong and cohesive team, develop strategic resource plans, and ensure that work is delegated and effectively coordinated within the Training team. This position must also ensure that the Training team is collaborating closely within the Change Management team, with other staff within the UWFT program, and with key partners where work needs to be closely coordinated.
- Build a cohesive team of Trainers and Training Developers; provide guidance and coaching on a daily basis to ensure productive and collaborative outcomes
- Coordinate with third party training lead and manage third party training development team
- Strategically manage resources to ensure the right mix of staffing to achieve desired results
- Effectively manage the schedule in order to complete deliverables, communicate status updates and proactively identify changes in scope of work to ensure appropriate planning measures are taken to assess impacts or risks
- Give and receive feedback to and from colleagues in an open and honest way, in order to improve presentation skills, curriculum development, and general plans for training delivery
- Meet time commitments and deadlines, or negotiate accordingly
Training Strategy and Content Development Management
- Develop detailed training and engagement strategies, to include audience analysis, staging materials, and detailed business process/system training modules using various training methods and tools
- Lead curriculum development and training content development to meet deliverable dates
- Collaborate and coordinate with UWFT teams, third party training team and key partners to ensure efforts are properly aligned
- Oversee the development of training and system documentation, to include instructional guidelines, field level documentation, and system help text to support training and user learning efforts
- Manage and track content development and report status and build metrics weekly
Assessment & Outreach
- Learn Workday functionality and become a subject matter expert in order to effectively identify training needs and design delivery methods that promote the audience’s learning; understand system complexities from both the backend and user-perspective
- Complete requirements gathering from both users and technical experts to ensure training materials meet the needs of the user
- Utilize leading industry techniques, technologies, and approaches to ensure training addresses a variety of learning styles; ensure that training delivery is time efficient and optimized for end users
- Provide functional and administrative oversight of staff members.
- Perform annual performance reviews that include professional development planning as well as coordinating and organizing input from various team members.
- Interview and hire staff.
- Assign and coordinate work schedules and leave requests.
- Ability to hold people accountable, recommend disciplinary actions if necessary.
Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, English, education or related field.
Minimum overall experience of 6-8 years in the field of training.
A minimum of 3 years of experience leading large-scale, software driven training programs.
A minimum of 3 years of demonstrated experience designing/developing/delivering online and blended training using online learning tools such as Adobe Captivate, Articulate, Camtasia or Articulate Storyline.
Knowledge of large-scale training strategies, approaches and planning.
Experience managing the development and delivery of training for a software implementation project (preferably a large-scale ERP implementation)
Knowledge of adult learning methodology, as well as the ability to communicate recommendations for training approach.
Excellent interpersonal skills (including verbal, written, presentation and facilitation skills) with the ability to communicate effectively at all levels within the organization, with both technical and non-technical audiences.
Knowledge of instructional design methodology and adult learning concepts, principles, and practices with experience applying this knowledge to adult learners.
Self-directed with strong project management skills and initiative to learn new applications independently.
Strong problem-solving, multitasking, and organizational skills.
Experience developing interactive training modules.
Proven experience with course design process from the ground up by leveraging Subject Matter Experts and demonstrating an understanding of functional specifications to write and test course content.
Ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team.
Experience carrying out all activities in the Training Development Life Cycle using the ADDIE model.
Proven experience meeting deadlines.
Write well, think creatively and be extremely flexible.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
4 years’ experience using the ADDIE model (Analysis, Design, Development, Implementation, Evaluation) of instructor-led training design.
Experience within higher education or medical center environment.
Experience with LMS functionality, such as Kenexa.
Work in an open office environment and contribute to collaborative team work focused on problem-solving. Daily interactions with other team members, subject matter experts and stakeholders at all levels of the organization. While the general working hours are within Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m., this position will, on occasion, need to adjust hours to accommodate the business needs and deadlines.
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, the University of Washington will honor your experiences, perspectives and unique identity. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability, and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 / 206-543-6452 (tty) or firstname.lastname@example.org.