Location: Must be located in Los Angeles area
Sets up and maintains cases assigned to him/her and ensures any pending issues are addressed prior to each status conference. The job entails obtaining records within the firm and coordinating with applicant, defendants and other parties involved in the case, ensuring parties are properly joined, medical reports are in, and other discovery issues are addressed. The job involves performing routine correspondence and preparation and filing and serving of pleadings. Paralegal ensures that all aspects of the case have been addressed from the onset of the filing to the day the Manager/Hearing Representative reaches settlement of the case.
New Case Set-Up:
· Creates chron, checklist, hard folder (print-out copy of first e–mail and include in the hard folder), and electronic status conference folder.
· Checks SIS for SSR’s and orders if necessary.
· Mails authorization packets to applicants
· Prepares work product for Manager’s review.
· Calls applicants at the onset of the case to determine dependency, nursing care, out of pocket expenses, and provide general information to them as to how WC case works.
· Creates service list.
· Locates existing coverages in Groupwise, Contractor’s site, and other existing sources.
· Orders WCIRB’s and SI records.
· Conducts corporate searches via Lexis Nexis, Intranet and Internet sites.
· Prepares Legal solution forms such as Application for Adjudication and WCAB Data Entry Sheet
· Ensures Applicant’s signed authorizations are in and are filled up properly
· Prepares and collates documents to comprise the case’s application packet
· Serves applications to all defendants and ensures courier files with the board
· Notifies Medicare and advises Administrative Assistant to refer to Gould and Lamb.
Pleadings and Correspondence:
· Prepares, serves and files petitions for Guardian Ad Litem, Successor in Interest, Joinders, Dismissals, Objections, Declaration of readiness to Proceed
· Letters/Responses to clients, defendants and adjusters
· Prepares Target Letters and serves
· Prepares request for hearing continuanceswith Manager approval
· Sends out coverage request letters to employers
· Union and Employment records
· Treating medical records
· Out of Pocket receipts from clients
· Declarations from Applicants and Co-workers
· Additional authorizations from clients
· Other documents that may be deemed necessary from time to time (e.g. ITRs, W-2s, birth certificates, abatement record, etc)
· Reviews Previous Reports of Hearings (ROH), and addresses pending issues such as completion of joinder, service of NIT’s, follow-ups with defendants and clients, etc. and updates Manager
· Obtains latest Medicare status from Admin assistant
· Reviews latest xmeds, prepares summary
· Follows up with defendants regarding any pending issues such as settlement authority, discovery, depositions, etc.
· Prepares Status Conference Reviews for every case prior to hearing
· Reviews deposition transcripts and medical reports and Industrial Hygienist reports
· Conducts limited interviews with applicant’s heirs, co-workers pertaining to exposures and employment
· Prepares memos for Investigations if the latter’s assistance becomes necessary in locating co-workers, employers, etc.
· Prepares and submits regular reports to Manager
· Weekly Unfiled Pending reports
· Active Case log
· Other reports that may be assigned by the Manager from time to time.
· Attends depositions and continuing education as may be assigned by the Manager
· Ensures status and updates are chroned
· Updates database, contact notes, asbestos profile as needed.
· Sorts and sends hard copies of pertinent documents to scanning
Knowledge, Skill and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree and/or a Paralegal Certificate from an accredited ABA program or equivalent work experience, or two to three years legal experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Minimum one-year paralegal experience or two year's legal office experience, or legal-related work in a business office is preferred.
Good communication skills. Knowledge of workers’ compensation claims, with emphasis on asbestos-related injuries. Ability to communicate well with attorneys, doctors, adjusters, and applicant’s that are usually very ill or elderly. A minimum typing speed of 35 WPM, with experience using Wordperfect and MS Excel, and knowledge of database applications, including Legal Solutions and Lexis Nexis.
Location: Remote (Los Angeles Area)
Hourly Rate: $30.00 p/h
Language: Bilingual Spanish/English preferred but not mandatory
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $28.00 - $39.00 per hour
Expected hours: 40 per week
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Work from home
Work Location: Remote