Position Title: Tiny Lions Lounge and Adoption Center (TLC) Manager
Hours: Full-time, requires some weekends, holidays, and evenings, beyond the the
normal scheduled hours of work.
Supervisor: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Classification: Exempt, Salaried
We are looking for a creative, passionate, business-minded cat lover to manage off-site adoption location and retail center. Must have exceptional customer service skills, and be able to work collaboratively and effectively with multiple departments within HSHV, including: Development, Marketing, Behavior, Adoptions, Humane Education and Volunteer.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The Cat Café Manager position requires a self-motivated, goal-driven team builder who is compassionate, enthusiastic, innovative, organized, flexible, collaborative, and able to handle the stress of a high demand job requiring multi-tasking and managing difficult situations.
Requires strong customer service and attention to detail, in addition to organizational, computer, verbal and written communication skills. Must also have an in-depth understanding of cat behavior and health.
Must demonstrate knowledge and skills related to adoptions programs; personnel, including volunteers, management; inventory control; revenue generation and budgeting; marketing, social media, community education, and retail.
Advanced written, oral communication skills, and technical knowledge needed. Supervisory and management experience required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Coordinate and oversee daily operations to ensure highest quality care of all cats.
o Maintain the population of cats at TLC by facilitating weekly transport from HSHV and monitoring their adjustment. Facilitate the return to HSHV any cats who are not adjusting or who become sick or injured.
o Attend to the individual needs of each cat by keeping stress low and helping cats that are scared or stressed adjust to the environment. Make use of tools such as calming music, essential oils and opportunities to hide or retreat from the public or other cats as needed.
o Ensure each cat is eating properly and maintaining a healthy weight, making adjustments to their feeding habits and preferences as necessary. Promptly report all challenging eating/feeding concerns to the TLC or HSHV veterinarians.
o Ensure the health of all cats through daily monitoring and report any concerns immediately to the TLC or HSHV veterinarians to ensure swift diagnosis, treatment and recovery. Provide needed medication and illness monitoring and reporting.
o Ensure proper and thorough cleaning and sanitation, following daily cleaning, spot cleaning (tidying) and deep cleaning protocols needed to maintain a healthy and customer friendly environment.
2. Provide and ensure the provision of excellent customer service that is flexible and responsive to the needs of all customers. Ensure that customers, including families with children, are greeted warmly, are provided with needed information, education and guidance, and helped to have the most enjoyable experience possible at TLC.
3. Assist customers interested in adoption by answering questions and guiding them to find cats that best match their interests, resources and lifestyle; screen and approve adoption applications; and facilitate and finalize adoption process.
4. Work with the Humane Education Department to ensure the provision of interesting, well attended and implemented activities and events.
5. Work with the Humane Education Department to create partnerships with other nonprofits and community services to provide activities for special needs populations.
6. Work with HSHV’s Development Department to create and implement fundraising programs and events to ensure adequate funding and meet budget goals.
7. Develop relationships with community and animal related businesses to acquire sponsorships and in-kind gifts for daily needs and special activities.
8. Work with HSHV’s Marketing Department to create and implement a marketing and communications, including social media, plan to positively promote the TLC brand and accomplishments, and acquire new visitors, adopters and event attendees.
9. Ensure TLC has all needed supplies and furnishings, and the facilities and equipment are in good working order and repair. Promptly report problems to HSHV IT or Facilities departments.
10. Monitor inventory of the TLC store and work with the Retail Coordinator to ensure a range of products of interest to cat lovers and that they are selling according to goals.
11. Develop, update and follow and ensure others follow clear standard operating procedures.
1. Provide supportive management to staff and volunteers. Monitor, mentor, and motivate their performance.
a. Ensure training plan is in place, monitor to ensure timely, effective completion; keep training ongoing for all staff to ensure their engagement and compliance with changing procedures;
b. Work with the Volunteer Department to ensure that TLC has adquate coverage for designated volunteer positions and provide effective communication, training, support and appreciation to volunteers;
c. Schedule & ensure adequate daily staffing needs, approve/disapprove vacations, monitor daily attendance, and approve assigned payroll prior to deadlines;
d. Provide good communication and emotional support so that staff and volunteers are engaged and equipped to do their jobs. Monitor staff stress and problems related to compassion fatigue—adjusting workload and referring to EAP as necessary to ensure a healthy and satisfied staff;
e. Review and evaluate staff performance – conduct performance reviews and recommend compensation changes;
f. Resolve staff issues and manage disciplinary actions in conjunction with the HR Manager.
2. Help develop the TLC annual budget and monitor monthly revenue and expenses to ensure they are in line with budget, and make/suggest changes as needed to meet goals.
3. Work with the HR Manager to select, interview and hire candidates for open positions.
4. Ensure safety (OSHA, employee, environment) at TLC.
a. Promptly write and distribute incident reports for safety violations, accidents and injuries.
5. Participate in setting department annual goals and budgeting.
1. Be an effective liaison to the community, positively promoting HSHV’s mission, goals and philosophies. Continuously seek to improve HSHV’s save rate without compromising public health and safety or causing or prolonging animal suffering.
2. Keep abreast of best practices in care of shelter animals and adoptions; make recommendations regarding program improvements and new program elements.
3. Respond to needs with the proper sense of urgency.
4. Work flexibly, effectively and sensitively with a diverse population of customers, volunteers and staff; respond to the needs and concerns of a diverse socioeconomic community.
5. Attend agency meetings and review monthly statistics, financials and other metrics to monitor progress and success toward goals.
6. Read email at least daily and respond swiftly and appropriately to phone and electronic communication.
7. Provide regular updates to other HSHV management and leadershp staff. Maintain an awareness and stay up to date on HSHV services, activiies and events. Keep informed of and abide by agency policies and procedures.
The work is performed in office and shelter surroundings. While performing this job, you must regularly move around the office, shelter and community to coordinate activities. Regular positions include sitting at a computer station for long periods, walking and standing; bending, reaching, holding, grasping and turning objects, and using fingers to operate a phone, computer keyboard, camera and other training equipment as necessary. While performing this job, you must frequently lift and/or move up to 20 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. This position’s work requires the ability to speak in a manner which is highly coherent to others; the ability to see (near) paperwork, computer screens and (distance) presentations; and the ability to hear and comprehend others. You will be exposed to the shelter setting, including disinfectant solutions used within the shelter. You will be consistently exposed to animals and animal allergens. You may also be subject to potential danger including parasites and infectious diseases, animal bites and scratches.
While performing this job, you will be consistently required to use written and oral communication skills; observe and interpret situations; analyze and solve problems; learn and apply new information and skills; perform repetitive work on multiple, concurrent tasks; fulfill intensive deadlines; and interact with volunteers, staff, the public and others encountered in the course of work. You may be exposed to hostile or abusive members of the public, and you must be able to deal with emotionally charged public and volunteers, and carry a fast-paced and changing workload which, at times, can be demanding.
Please note: This job description reflects the assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Humane Society of Huron Valley is an at-will employer.