CHIEF ENGINEER/DIRECTOR OF ENGINEERING
REPORTS TO: General Manager
BASIC PURPOSE: Position is responsible for the short and long-term planning and
day-to-day operations of the engineering division. Develop, implement and manage emergency programs, programs for the operations & maintenance of all equipment and physical structures and landscaping in compliance with corporate/ franchise standards, local, state & national codes and regulations to protect the assets, guests and employees, to ensure optimum operations, minimize expenses and maximize customer satisfaction.
- Assist with recruiting, and hiring, of engineering employees, and then train, motivate and mentor the engineering staff
- Conduct performance and salary reviews, resolve problems, provide open communication vehicles, discipline and terminate, as appropriate.
- Develop, recommend, implement and manage the division's budget capital expenditure plan, forecasts and objectives consistent with maintaining a first class property and management's expectations.
- Develop, implement and manage a preventive maintenance program and negotiate maintenance contracts for the hotel, the grounds and all of the equipment in compliance with corporate/franchise standards and local, state and national codes and regulations to ensure the safety, convenience and satisfaction of all guests, managers and employees to protect the assets and maintain the property in first class condition.
- Develop, implement & direct all Emergency Programs; ensure all equipment is maintained, conduct inspections & drills, ensure compliance with all codes and regulations, train all employees and maintain accurate records to ensure a safe environment which protects the assets, guests and employees.
- Develop, implement and manage an energy conservation program for property to minimize expenses.
- Coordinate renovation bidding, define the cost and scope of the project and oversee the general contractor and subcontractors to ensure quality work is performed for minimal cost.
- Perform special projects and other responsibilities as assigned. Participate in task forces and committees as requested.
- When needed, assist other departments and employees with any tasks requested by a supervisor or manager
Knowledge and Skills:
Post high school education preferred, including trade school or specialized maintenance training desireable
Experience required by position is from four to five years of employment in a related position with this company or other organization(s)
Skills and Abilities:
- Requires advanced knowledge of Building Management/Engineering.
- May require considerable working knowledge of other major areas in the hotel and the skill to
- integrate and communicate that information.
- Requires analyzing activities and/or information involving some original data manipulation or interpretation to arrive at logical conclusions.
- Requires management skills.
- Ability to provide information and associated services to hotel management and guests.
No. of employees supervised: Supervise one or more employees
Travel required: Minimal, training classes, vendors, task force, etc.
Hours Required: Fifty to fifty hours over a five day period
ENVIRONMENT: Physical Job Requirements
Position requires frequent and daily lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying of a variety of hotel equipment, tools, carts and machinery of varying weights
Frequent bending and/or kneeling throughout day for repairs and maintenance of hotel property,
equipment and machinery
Position requires total mobility at all times throughout the hotel.
Position requires the continuous standing and/or walking in varying degrees throughout the day.
Position may necessitate the frequent use of stairs, including the use of ladders
Limited driving on an occasional basis for supplies, equipment, etc.
- Position, although primarily focused indoors, may require exterior work and exposure to extreme heat and/or cold.
- Indoor functions may also necessitate the maintaining of freezers and walk-in coolers, heat-producing kitchen appliances, work in boiler rooms or other “tight” quarters, as well as in guest rooms and other spaces which may require small spaces and varying temperatures
- Position requires the employee to be able to clearly communicate with, understand, and respond to direction
- Must be able to train, mentor, administer discipline to and communicate policies and procedures to the engineering staff
- Must be able to clearly communicate with guests and coworkers in a professional and articulate manner
- Must have excellent written and verbal skills, including the ability to compose business emails
- Must be able to visually monitor, read and respond to reports, written requests, and written policies and procedures
Chemicals/Agents: Position requires exposure to or use of:
Water treatments, industrial strength cleaning agents, freon, degreasers, coil cleaners, paint thinners, gasoline, pool Chemicals and other assorted and varied cleaning agents
Protective Clothing Type:
- Heavy work shoe/boot required at all times
Position may also require the use of:
- Facemask (chemical testing)
- Rubber gloves
- welding shield and gloves
Position requires the frequent use of a variety of maintenance tools and equipment including but not limited to:
- Pool equipment
- HVAC equipment
- Painting and cleaning equipment
- Power hand tools (i.e. circular saw, drill)
Personal appearance and grooming is key in this position due to the high guest contact nature of this position.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $40,000.00 /year
- Hotel Maintenance: 3 years
- Maintenance: 5 years