The Program Coordinator II – After School position is responsible for directing an after school program at a local elementary or middle school. This position creates lessons that include various sports, arts and crafts, and activities and supervises adults that assist with the program. Recreation staff have the primary responsibility of ensuring the safety of program participants. Position hours are 2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday, September through November and January through May.
The full salary range for this position is stated above. The starting range of pay is dependent on qualifications and experience of each individual candidate.
ORGANIZATIONAL COMPETENCIES AND CULTURAL VALUES/GENERAL COMPETENCIES:
of every employee at the City of Westminster is to deliver exceptional value and quality of life through SPIRIT. Each employee is measured by the ability to adhere to the City's core values of Service, Pride, Integrity, Responsibility, Innovation, and Teamwork.
This position supports the goals of the Parks, Recreation, and Libraries Department, which enhances the quality of life for all Westminster citizens by providing diverse leisure, recreational, and informational services and resources; and acquiring, developing, and maintaining first-class parks, facilities, open space, and trails. This position works toward the accomplishment of the department's mission: Together we create exceptional opportunities for a vibrant community with a commitment to nature, wellness and literacy.
Job Specific – Every employee in this position must be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge in educational and recreational curriculum development
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions
- Relate well to children, young adults and parents
- Develop relationships with the public, parents, and other employees
- Plan, organize, and implement engaging activities
- Provide leadership to both staff and participants
- Respond quickly and calmly in emergency situations
- Carry out any first aid necessary
- Provide proper authority to children
- Demonstrate creativity and self-motivation
All employees are expected to provide excellent customer service, communicate in an effective manner both verbally and in writing, display professionalism and integrity, work efficiently, effectively and accurately, work independently and as part of a team, take initiative, solve problems, display good judgment, take ownership for delivering a high quality product or service, have regular and punctual attendance, and effectively handle emergency situations.
JOB SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS:
Essential Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities, and Tasks
1. Plans and organizes various sports and activities to keep children engaged for two 10-week sessions
2. Instructs general recreation classes for school-age children
3. Maintains a safe recreational atmosphere for children
4. Supervises adult staff
5. Maintains equipment and supplies
6. Maintains regular and punctual attendance
Other Duties and Responsibilities
1. Attends staff meetings
Incumbent is accountable for all duties of this job, and other projects and responsibilities may be added at the City's discretion.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS/PRE-EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS:
Education, Experience, Skills, Formal Training, Licenses, and Certifications
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- High school diploma or GED
- First Aid, CPR and AED certification within 90 days of hire
- Teaching experience with children in organized youth activities
- Bachelor's degree
- Experience supervising adults
Any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience, which would provide the required knowledge and skills, may be considered.
This position requires a low degree of physical stamina and strength, including the ability to:
- Frequently sit, stand and walk through a multi-level facility
- Occasionally squat, bend, kneel, twist, climb, balance and reach overhead
- Frequently lift, carry, push or pull items weighing up to 10 pounds; occasionally lift, carry, push or pull items weighing up to 25 pounds
- Constantly use hands and fingers for fine manipulation; occasionally use light and firm grasp
- Frequently see objects up close to perform office tasks and far away to observe activity for safety hazards or problems
- Constantly use hearing to interact with guests and staff and recognize trouble outside of view
Work is constantly performed indoors with occasional outdoor activity. Exposure to periods of high activity and stress under demanding conditions. The position requires a great deal of communication with City employees, the public, and outside agencies.
Required Materials and Equipment
Recreation and sports equipment, arts and crafts materials, schools and city recreation facilities
Candidates must be legally entitled to work in the United States and must successfully pass a criminal background check, reference check, and substance screen. There may be additional pre-employment requirements depending on the nature of the position.
We are a caring, courteous, team-oriented organization committed to public service excellence. Employees thrive in a culture that is respectful, professional and diverse. Our work culture encourages passionate, positive and enthusiastic employees. Westminster is a drug-free workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer.