#5529 Educational Foundation Accountant - Accountant II
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The starting salary will be between $4,161.00/month to $5,979.00/month.
Cal State East Bay offers a broad range of benefits that includes medical, dental, vision, retirement (CalPERS), 401k, 457, 403(b), dependent and health care reimbursement accounts, life insurance, vacation and sick, 13 paid holidays, one personal holiday and tuition fee waiver.
For more information on the benefits program, please visit http://www.csueastbay.edu/af/departments/hr/benefits/index.html
ABOUT CAL STATE EAST BAY:
Cal State East Bay's beautiful main campus is located in the Hayward hills with panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay shoreline. Situated above the city of Hayward, the campus offers an ideal setting for teaching and learning and yet easy access to the many cities along the bay. The University has a satellite campus in Concord, a professional development center in Oakland and a significant presence online. Founded in 1957, Cal State East Bay is one of 23 universities of the California State University system (CSU). With an enrollment over 15,800 students, Cal State East Bay is recognized as a regionally engaged and globally oriented university with a strong commitment to academic innovation, student success, engaged and service learning, diversity, and sustainability.
The Finance area consists of Accounts Receivable, General Accounting, Compliance, Accounts Payable, Student Financial & Cashier Services, Finance Support, Budget and Procurement & Support Services. These departments report to three managers, the Director of University Budget Services, the Director of Fiscal Services and the Director of Procurement Services. These managers report to the Associate Vice President of Finance. The incumbent will be an Accountant II within the University Accounting unit.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Coordinates the Education Foundation and the University for Donor Funds that are available to be spent by the University Departments, and for Scholarship allocations from the Education Foundation to the University. Will collect, process and analyze accounting transactional data; work with both month-end and year-end processes; will coordinate completion of various auditor requests.
Assure the proper recording and documentation of financial transactions and contribute to audit
process; Examine documents for conformance to established policies and procedures and
Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
Endowment Financial Activity:
- Process investment activity related to endowment earnings: interest, gains and losses
- Assist with communicated endowment activity to donors
- Monitor and transfer all gifts received to the appropriate funds as directed by the Executive Director of the Education Foundation
"Current Use" Donor Funds Administration; Process all transfers between the Education
Foundation and the University related to current use funds (including scholarships),
monitoring and reporting on balances
Prepare financial transactions as assigned such as:
- Journal Entry preparation and review, identifying needed reclassifications and/or
- Process AP vouchers or claims
- Legal and GAAP Journal Entries
- Analyze Errors/Warnings from monthly FIRMS reporting to Chancellor's Office
Ensure that assigned accounting program activities are carried out in accordance with established policies and procedures and general accounting standards:
- Ensure activity is appropriate to fund usage; see operating agreements, regulatory
agency or governing authority for guidance
- Monitor and report on balances on a Legal and GAAP basis
- For assigned funds, maintain fund agreements, where required by CSU policy
Interpret new and existing federal and state regulations relative to assigned area of responsibility
Prepare, analyze, and interpret financial reports, statements, and records.
- Conduct extensive financial data compilation, querying and drilling on large volumes of
financial data; and use integrated financial systems and/or other types of records
- Correct and reconcile account balances to external data
- Assigned reconciliations are completed accurately
- Reconciliations are consistently completed by the provided deadline
- Reconciling items are generally resolved within 30 days; 60 days for more complex
- Contribution to the year-end process include various tasks
- Legal and GAAP Journal Entries
- SCO State Reporting
- PBC Schedules
- Footnotes/Lead sheet preparation
- Legal-basis financial statements
- GAAP-basis financial statements
Identify actual or potential problems and recommend corrective action.
- Recommend changes to and assist with the documentation and maintenance of business
processes, standards and procedures.
- Predict the effects of changes in operating programs or accounting operations
Provide training, guidance and assistance to other employees and to provide work direction to
other professional and/or technical staff as assigned.
- Provide guidance to the Accountant I, Donor Funds Coordinator. Activities may include:
- Approve all financial transaction for payment to assure funding and compliance in
accordance with the Donor requirements
- Maintain current records of delegation of authority for Donor Funds to assure compliance
for current use and scholarship activity.
- Provide consultative services to campus administrators in resolving accounting problems
- Train end users on use of Data Warehouse and distribution of policies or guidelines in
relation to compliance and University financial business processes, with a stronger focus on
distribution policies related to donor funds.
- Respond to a variety of inquiries from all organization levels and provide guidance and
support as needed
Other Duties as Assigned:
- Perform special tasks as assigned
- Provide initial troubleshooting of financial systems problems and participate in the design and installation of financial systems upgrades and required testing and verification of results
Thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP); office methods and procedures; statistical and mathematical presentation of data; advanced proficiency with current word processing and spreadsheet software programs, web browsers, query tools, integrated financial systems and/or other types of records management systems. General understanding of internal control methods. Working knowledge of federal student financial aid annual reporting requirements, and quarterly grant reporting requirements.
Ability to apply accounting principles to the analysis of complex accounting problems; analyze and interpret accounting data; prepare clear, accurate financial statements and reports; utilize problem-solving techniques in finding solutions to complex accounting problems; understand and apply applicable rules, regulations, policies, and principles; make decisions and recommendations regarding accounting activities; communicate effectively with others inside and outside the unit, including conveying technical information to non-Accountants.
Equivalent to two years of progressively responsible professional accounting experience.
Equivalent to a bachelor's degree with a major in accounting, business administration, finance or a closely related field OR a combination of education and experience.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
HOW TO APPLY:
- Bachelor's degree in related field; Post-secondary education in related field a plus
- Advanced skill level in Excel
- Experience with ORACLE PeopleSoft Finance Application
- Experience with Government or Higher Education
- Experience with providing direction/training
- Higher level accounting related work experience
In addition to the standard Cal State East Bay application, please submit a:
1. Cover letter
3. List of three (3) or more professional references
Resumes alone will not be accepted in lieu of a completed online application.
To apply on-line, please go to http://www.csueastbay.edu/jobs. If you are a first time user, you must register, create a user ID and password, fill in your basic information, save and click on the position you are interested in, click on the "Apply Now" button to begin the online application.
This position will remain open until filled and may close without further notice.
Applicants will receive a confirmation of receipt via automatic email reply regarding their application materials. In addition, all applicants who were not selected will receive email notification at the conclusion of the recruitment process. Please be patient as this process may take several weeks. "
CONDITION(S) OF EMPLOYMENT:
This is a position with supervisory/lead responsibilities, subject to completion of the University on-line Sexual Harassment training as a condition of employment.
Satisfactory completion of a background check that may include, but is not limited to: criminal records check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certificates, credit history, professional references and/or verification of work history is required for employment. Cal State East Bay will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Unsatisfactory results may also affect the continued employment of current Cal State East Bay employees who were conditionally offered the position.
All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate.
"All California State University campuses, including Cal State East Bay, are smoke and tobacco-free. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.csueastbay.edu/smokeandtobaccofree/
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the Cal State East Bay Annual Campus Security Report is available at: http://www.csueastbay.edu/upd/safety-and-security-reports.html "
The incumbent in this position may be considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and will be required to comply with requirements set forth in the CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Cal State East Bay is not a sponsoring agency for Staff or Management positions.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Cal State East Bay does not discriminate on the basis of any protected categories: age, ancestry, citizenship, color, disability, gender, immigration status, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran's status. The University is committed to the principles of diversity in employment and to creating a stimulating learning environment for its diverse student body.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency