- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- Leadership Experience
- Communication Skills
In coordination with the Chief Strategy Officer and the Vice President for Government Relations, the Manager will participate in the strategic planning and implementation of legislative activity related to Children's National Medical Center at the federal, state (including Maryland, DC, and Virginia) and District levels. The Manager will be required to monitor legislative and regulatory activities, and develop and implement strategies for favorable legislative action. Strategy development include coalition building, legislator education, materials using hospital data and strategic messaging, and preparing testimony and witnesses. Participate in the department's development and activation of the grassroots initiatives.
Specific Requirements and Preferences
Business Administration, Hospital Administration, Public Administration or other related field (Required)
Minimum Work Experience
Specific Requirements and Preferences
Progressive related experience (Required)
Expertise in the area of specialty.
Strong Knowledge of Federal, state and local issues important to CNMC and potentially impacting the business model and mission of the organization.
Demonstrated leadership and management skills. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Familiar with department budget and personnel communication.
Legislative Analysis and Coordination
1. Identify , monitor and analyze legislation, and offer recommendations on action.
2. Draft legislation and develop strategies for passage on priority institutional advocacy issues.
3. Implement strategies for favorable legislative action through coalition building, education of legislators, and promotion of our policy positions.
4. Develop educational materials on legislative and policy issues.
5. Monitor and make recommendations on regulatory action affecting CNMC, including drafting and submitting official institutional comment letters. Provide updates and summaries on regulatory activity .
6. Write testimony and brief CNMC representatives who are testifying or participating in legislative advocacy .
7. Create opportunities for increased visibility with policy makers, including sponsorships, tours, luncheons, providing speakers, newsletters, etc.
1. Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
2. Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
3. Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
4. Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
5. Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
6. Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance
1. Prepare correspondence, memoranda, reports, and presentations and provide support for departmental activities such as receptions, seminars, conferences, etc.
2. Serve as a resource for faculty and staff to facilitate and coordinate their legislative advocacy efforts.
3. Provide strategic direction and support for departmental events that advance child health advocacy in this region.
1. Partner in the mission and upholds the core principles of the organization
2. Committed to diversity and recognizes value of cultural ethnic differences
3. Demonstrate personal and professional integrity
4. Maintain confidentiality at all times
1. Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
1. Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
2. Partner with all team members to achieve goals
3. Receptive to others’ ideas and opinions
1. Contribute to a positive work environment
2. Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
3. Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
4. Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility
1. Use resources efficiently
2. Search for less costly ways of doing things
Primary Location: District of Columbia-Washington
Work Locations: Wisconsin Avenue 2233 Wisconsin Avenue NW Suite 317 Washington 20007
Job: Non-Clinical Professional
Organization: Strategic Operations
Regular / Temporary: R (Regular)
Position Status: FT - Full-Time
Work Schedule: 8:30 - 5 PM
Job Posting: Sep 4, 2019, 9:59:52 AM