For more than 70 years, Postlethwaite & Netterville (P&N), APAC has helped businesses and individuals across the country shape clearer paths forward. Our professional accounting and assurance, consulting, tax, and technology services allow clients to streamline and organize operations, comply with changing regulations, and boost business growth with the right technological tools. As Louisiana’s top CPA firm, our rapid growth is continuing. We are looking for leaders to GROW WITH US!
The Tax Director is responsible for the overall administration, planning, compliance, organizing, coordination, and evaluation of tax services. As a strategic business partner, the Tax Director will drive new and incremental growth through business development activities, providing direction and leadership to the Tax department to effectively achieve Firm goals and industry best practices.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Law or other related degree as approved is required.
- Master’s degree is preferred.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation is required.
- 10+ years of relevant tax experience is required.
- 5+ years or management or supervisory experience is required.
- Significant experience in a public accounting or professional services environment is required.
- Knowledge of Internal Revenue Code and is required.
- Exhibits strong analytical ability, critical thinking capacity, and diligently performs assigned tasks with the highest degree of professionalism and integrity.
- Must have the capability to professionally, appropriately and effectively communicate with a diverse group of individuals.
- Must be able to lead, build, and manage diverse teams for small, medium, and large scale projects.
- Must exhibit a high degree of professionalism including the ability to maintain the highest levels of confidentiality.
- Must be able to work in a dynamic, fast-paced, innovative, and continuously changing environment.
- Must have excellent communication skills in business and technical environments.
- Must be computer literate with the capability of performing at an intermediate or advanced level with respect to the Microsoft Office Suite of products (specifically Outlook, Word, and Excel) or similar software applications.
- Partners with Firm leadership to develop, interpret and oversee strategic initiatives that align with Firm objectives, and by providing a variety of professional services related to all-levels of Tax functions.
- Drives revenue through new and incremental growth of current and prospective clients.
- Analyzes trends and metrics and evaluates results of initiatives and makes recommendations for continual improvements in efficiencies and results.
- Participates in executive, management, and company staff meetings and attends other meetings and seminars.
- Coordinates involvement of Tax staff on all phases of the engagement, including execution of the engagement letter, communications with the client, staffing requirements, job planning, and scheduling.
- Creates client engagement material and presentations for meetings.
- Delegates work to Tax staff according to their experience and capabilities in conformance with the planning documents.
- Reviews the Tax service line’s working papers and determines that the engagement has been performed in accordance with professional standards and the terms of the engagement letter.
- Provides overall leadership, supervision, skills assessments of team members, coordinates training, and creates and delivers performance feedback to staff.
- Ensures appropriate internal controls are in place and compliance requirements are met.
- Support the Firm’s strategic alliances and partnership, along with Assistant Directors and Managers to sustain and grow clients, programs, and services.
- Departmental liaison with IT staff on all technical matters relating to tax applications.
- Manages office administrative functions to ensure smooth and efficient operations of the organization.
- Maintains compliance with external regulations and internal policies.
- Oversees department staffing needs and participate as appropriate in recruiting activities (e.g. interviewing, hiring, new hire and ongoing training, annual evaluations, etc.).
- Participates in budget development and monitoring of expenses.
- Ensures Tax service line employees are properly and accurately billing for time, reviews non-billable, billable and utilization reports. Makes and communicates work hours or project adjustments as necessary.
- Generates necessary reports for the executive team; reviews subordinates’ reports
- Stays current on tax law, AICPA, and state CPA society rules, regulations and code of ethics.
- Practice development:
- Develops business by expanding existing relationships with clients, maintaining personal networks, and participating in civic, business, and professional organizations
- Periodically reviews engagements with present clients.
- Keeps clients aware of new services and developments.
- Maintains contacts with referral sources and clients.
- Expands the Firm’s brand through speaking engagements, publication of articles and books, and participation in civic affairs.
- Represents the organization to the public, key stakeholders and business partner.
- Maintains a solid continuing base knowledge of tax, accounting, audit, and financial regulations & standards.
- Proactively communicates any issues/concerns relating to service line.
- Develops proficiency for Firm software applications and procedures.
- Maintains a positive attitude and is receptive to constructive feedback.
- Complies with the professional and Firm requirements (e.g., employee handbook requirements, time entry procedures, audit quality control document requirements, etc.) including complying with confidentiality requirements (e.g., client information, proposal information, personnel information, job-related information, etc.).
- Actively attended and engages in meetings and training sessions.
- Maintains the required CPE for firm and licensing standards.
- Provides courteous and prompt service to all internal and external parties. Prioritizes and addresses requests and assignments in a professional and cooperative manner.
- Identifies opportunities and recommends methods to improve service, work processes and financial performance (e.g., procedure optimization). Assists in the implementation of quality improvement initiatives.
- Assists co-workers in the completion of tasks and assignments to ensure continuity of service. Actively supports teamwork throughout the organization.
- Performs other services as assigned.
- May periodically travel and work from different company locations.
- May be required to work extended/overtime hours during workweek and/or on weekends as needed.
- Must be able to reach P&N’s office in a timely manner and be ready to perform job responsibilities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of the job successfully with or without reasonable accommodations. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, and listen. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision and the ability to focus. This position spends a significant amount of time sitting and operating a computer. Lifting requirements will not typically exceed 25 pounds.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully with or without reasonable accommodations. The work environment is considered to be that of a typical business/office operation. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Work/Life Balance: Paid Time Off, Paid Parental Leave, Paid Holidays, Dress for Your Day policy, Volunteer Opportunities, Fun Team Activities
401(k) Plan with Matching/Profit Sharing Contribution, Voluntary & Group Life Insurance, Short- and Long-term Disability Insurance, Medical, Dependent Care and Adoption FSA, Competitive Salaries, Employee Referral bonus
Health & Wellness:
Health, Dental and Vision Insurance, Employee Assistance Program, Health Savings Account
Join our team of professionals and take a firm step forward in your career. With an established mentor program and defined career paths for a range of specialties and skill sets, P&N is a place where professionals of all experience levels thrive. Our Lifelong Learning program, combined with technical training opportunities for staff, ensure that this is a place where our employees can grow — and with a rich office culture and a strong commitment to work/life balance, P&N is a place where you'll be happy to do so. To be considered for employment, visit www.pncpa.com/careers, complete an employment application and Explore Your Next Opportunity with P&N.
Postlethwaite & Netterville (P&N), APAC is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status or other protected classifications.