These positions are located in the Office of Air and Radiation, Office of Atmospheric Programs, Climate Protection Partnership Division, Energy Star Labeling Branch.
If selected, you must work in the location stated in this announcement.
For more information on this office, visit their website:
Office of Air and Radiation.
- Develop and implement marketing strategies for ENERGY STAR certified products across all relevant distribution channels, including retail;
- Develop and maintain strategic resources to support effective energy efficiency program implementation by energy efficiency program sponsors;
- Provide support to analyze and assess ENERGY STAR certified product and ENERGY STAR program benefits to identify and resolve problems;
- Provide technical advice to internal and external stakeholders.
When entering a Federal job at a grade level lower than the highest promotion potential level, you may be promoted to more complex duties and work more independently as your career progresses.
You will spend less than 25% of your work time on contracts, grants/cooperative agreements, and/or interagency agreements.
One or more positions may be filled.
Job family (Series)
0101 Social Science
Conditions of Employment
You must be a U.S. citizen.
If you are selected, a pre-employment background check is required.
You must submit a resume and required documents-see How to Apply section.
Position has education requirements-see Qualifications/Education section.
You may be required to travel less than 25% of each month.
EPA and non-EPA applicants must submit transcripts/course listings.
This position is designated as Moderate Risk and requires a background investigation. Unless an appropriate background investigation is already on record with the Office of Personnel Management, you must undergo a background investigation.
If you are selected, you must complete a one year probationary period.
In addition to the educational requirements, we are looking for at least one year of specialized experience related to this position as described below:
To qualify for the GS-12 level, you need to have at least one year of full-time experience equivalent to the GS-11 level defined as proposing strategic marketing strategies or plans to promote government energy programs, such as ENERGY STAR; and analyzing budget and performance of energy efficient products or technologies.
To qualify for the GS-13 level, you need to have at least one year of full-time experience equivalent to the GS-12 level defined as developing strategic marketing plans to promote government energy programs, such as ENERGY STAR; analyzing budget and performance of energy efficient products or technologies; and communicating program options for energy efficiency programs to industry partners.
Your answers to the on-line assessment will be used to evaluate your competencies in the following areas: 1) Knowledge of energy efficiency program marketing strategies; 2) Skill in written communication; 3) Knowledge of government energy efficiency programs; 4) Ability to development and implement new technical specifications for climate friendly technologies; 5) Skill in technical analysis of energy and environmental issues, as related to the ENERGY STAR Labeling programs; 6) Ability to collaborate with a variety of stakeholders.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
If you have part-time work experience, read this:
EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures.
You need a degree or combination of education and experience as described below to qualify for this position.
You must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited or pre-accredited college or university in one of the following: behavioral or social science, or related disciplines appropriate to the position; OR a combination of education and experience with courses equivalent to a major as listed; OR four years of experience that demonstrate you have acquired knowledge of one or more of the behavioral or social sciences equivalent to a major, as listed.
Except in special circumstances, those new to the federal government will be hired at the starting salary (step 1) of the applicable grade range listed above.
EPA participates in E-Verify. E-Verify is an Internet based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA) that enables participating employers to electronically verify the employment eligibility of their newly hired employees. For additional information: EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures.
Are you a Displaced Federal Employee? If so, please read the Required Documents section and visit the EPA website for additional information: EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures
If you are selected, travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will not be paid by EPA. Any travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting to work in this position will be your responsibility.
Position has portable work and selectee may be authorized to telework after meeting eligibility requirements if approved by the supervisor/manager.
This position is in the bargaining unit.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
We will review your resume and required documents to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. Your resume must address the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed in the Qualifications section. If you meet basic qualification requirements, your application will be further evaluated based on your answers to the online assessment. Your responses to the online assessment will be used to measure the degree to which your background matches the requirements for the position. You are being evaluated under the category rating method which means, if you are determined to be qualified, you will be placed into the ‘Best Qualified’, ‘Well Qualified’, or ‘Qualified’ category.
We will compare your resume and supporting documentation to your responses on the assessment questionnaire. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job. We will evaluate your qualifications and eligibility and notify you if you meet minimum qualification requirements. If you are referred for consideration, you may be subject to additional assessments.
We do not require a separate statement responding to the competencies, also referred to as Knowledges, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs). However, your resume should clearly show possession of these competencies.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Documents to be submitted online:
You should ensure your social security number, date of birth, and any other personal information are redacted.
Additional information can be found on our website:
- Resume clearly stating your experience related to this position as described in the Duties section and Qualifications section. In describing your experience, you need to be clear and specific. We may not make assumptions regarding your experience.
- Responses to the online assessment questionnaire (you must complete this online - it is not a document you need to upload).
- College transcripts - required to submit either unofficial transcripts or a list of courses that includes school(s) attended, school address, course title, grades earned, completion dates, department, and quarter or semester hours earned. NOTE: Official educational transcripts are not required at the time of application; however, if you are selected, you must provide official transcripts before you start work with EPA.
- Veterans' Preference Documents - DD-214 Member 4 copy (or other copy indicating character of service), VA letter stating overall/combined disability rating (percentage), and SF-15, if applicable (see page 2 of the SF-15 for documents that can be submitted in lieu of the DD-214 and VA letter); active duty service members: submit certification from the armed forces documenting active duty dates, expected discharge/release date, campaign medals/badges, and character of service (a certification is any written document from the armed forces that certifies you are expected to be discharged/released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after you submit the certification).
- Displaced Federal employees under ICTAP/CTAP: copy of your most recent performance appraisal, proof of eligibility, and your most current SF-50 noting position, grade level, tenure, and duty station.
EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Join EPA in protecting human health and the environment and enjoy many work life quality options! Working for the EPA offers you a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System. To learn more about us, visit Life and Careers at EPA.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This job is open to
Career transition (CTAP, ICTAP, RPL)
Federal employees who meet the definition of a "surplus" or "displaced" employee.
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.