The receiving clerk is responsible for multiple laboratory and clerical responsibilities in the laboratory area. This position reports to the Receiving Supervisor and Laboratory Manager.
Essential Job Functions
- Receives COVID 19 Clinical specimens into the laboratory, using the specimen order/requisition (electronic/paper), tracking lists, registration for accuracy.
- Scans sample barcodes, requisitions and supplemental patient documentation into the LIMS system
- Rejects specimens that arrive without proper identification or with significant quality issues.
- Verifies correct specimen identification and specimen requirements against test requests.
- Enters or releases ordered test requests and other demographic and billing information into the LIMS system.
- Accurately labels specimens with the appropriate bar-coded labels according to policy.
- Preserves specimen integrity, maintains specimen identification and ensures delivery to the appropriate section of the laboratory for testing. Receives and documents all specimens sent to the laboratory.
- Determines the order in which specimen-processing tasks are to be performed.
- Ensures proper handling of prioritized specimens, Rush/VIP cases.
- Documents problems regarding patient or client information.
- Forwards unresolved problems to the appropriate section within the Laboratory.
- Informs the Supervisor or Team Leader of significant problems.
- Understand and follow all safety, infection control, and OSHA Blood Borne Pathogen, COVID 19 guidelines.
- Understand and adheres to all Compliance policies (HIPAA, NY, CLIA, CAP).
- Communicate well with coworkers
- Maintains a safe, clean, orderly work environment.
Required Skills/ Qualifications
· High school Diploma required.
· Demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills when interacting with internal and external customers. Able to speak English language clearly.
· Strong independent problem solving skills.
· Demonstrate willingness to accept additional responsibility with a positive attitude.
· Demonstrate ability to work independently and with a team.
Multiple shifts available: 8 am to 5 pm and 12 pm to 9 pm
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $12.00 - $15.00 per hour
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Mid-Day (Preferred)
- Morning (Preferred)
- Evening (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
- Bi weekly or Twice monthly
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends required
- Day shift
- Night shift
- Waiting period may apply
- Only full-time employees eligible