Opportunity in a highly specialized and growing IT professional services/consulting firm with a 10+ year track record of success. We are looking for full-time experienced Senior Network Engineers. This position offers a highly competitive compensation & benefits package with an exceptional career growth potential.
This position will responsible for the daily (24x7x365) engineering, operation, management and designing of all data networks and communication systems for our client (WMATA) in support of WMATA's Mission and Goals. The position will work closely with the IT Network Communication Service (NCS) leadership team, IT Help Desk, IT Operations Center, Rail Operation Command Center (ROCC), Bus Operation Command Center (BOCC) and Track and Structures System Maintenance (TSSM) to ensure that all of the WMATA networks and communication systems are operating in a robust, reliable and secure manner on a 24x7x365 basis. This position is a senior level network engineering nature of work.
- Manages, owns, tracks, escalates, communicates and coordinates problem resolution and escalation processes up to problem resolution.
- Configures, troubleshoots and designs Networks comprising of Network routers, switches and servers in a multi-vendor environment
- Carries out tactical and operational plans including planning for growth, providing input for strategic planning, and anticipating requirements where possible.
- Analyzes and defines network requirements and configurations, optimization, and support for network servers, routers and switches
- Prepares operational reports including trouble resolution and analysis, project status, equipment and network requirements/inventories.
- Monitors network capacity and performance; diagnoses and resolves complex network problems.
- Configures and maintains network backup and recovery procedures.
- Adheres to IT policies and procedures (e.g., SDLC, COOP).
- Assures the rigorous application of information security policies, principles, and practices in the delivery of network services.
Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills
Demonstrated knowledge of, abilities to and/or hands-on experience in:
- Exhaustive knowledge on the deployment of Cisco IOS XR routers including ASR9010, 9006, CRS etc. Architecture level design knowledge of IOSXR IOS and IOS XE Platforms.
- Should be capable of configuring, designing and troubleshooting network comprising of Juniper Routers, firewalls and switches particularly MX,EX and QFX platforms
- Must have a working experience in Juniper Data center deployments via Contrail etc. Should have undergone Data center migrations in the past with Cisco ACI , VMware NSX , Juniper Contrail etc
- Should have working knowledge on scripting including Ansible, Puppet, Python etc.
- In-dept. knowledge of Access private networks (APN) provisioning through the Service Provider Cellular cloud.
- Detailed implementation experience on cellular channel bonding techniques via MPVPN on FATPIPE routers.
- Expertise level knowledge on implementing and designing SD-WAN solutions on multi-vendor platform.
- Experience on Cisco ISE configuring, managing and troubleshooting in enterprise environment for wired, wireless and cellular Endpoints.
- Detailed implementation experience in management of Cisco Meraki MDM deployment in an Enterprise Network.
- LAN Switching technologies including a detailed understanding of all Ethernet standards; Ethernet Layer 1 wiring speed and duplex, RJ-45 pinouts and CAT6 wiring, CSMA/CD, basic switch port configuration; VLAN configuration and management including VTP, 1SL and 802.1q trunking.
- Detailed understanding of the spanning tree protocol to include PVST+, MST, Portfast, uplinkfast, backbonefast, root guard and BPDU guard.
- 1Pv4 addressing including IP address structure and subnetting, VLSM subnet allocation, CIDR, private addressing and NAT.
- IPv6 technologies, including a detailed understanding of IPv6 addressing and Address types, IPv6 neighbor discovery, neighbor and router advertisement and neighbor and router solicitation; unicast reverse path forwarding and IPv6 unicast routing protocols.
- IP Services including ARP, Proxy ARP, DHCP; HSRP, VRRP and GLBP, Network Time Protocol (NTP); SNMP; Syslog.
- MPLS technologies, including provisioning MPLS routers via LDP, understanding of the LIB, LFIB as it relates to MPLS provision and path determination, tracking and troubleshooting.
- MPLS VPN implementation including a detailed understanding of MP-BGP, Route Distinguishers and route targets.
- EIGRP routing including configuration of EIGRP routers, authentication, route filtering, offset lists and troubleshooting stuck-in-active routes.
- OSPF routing including a detailed understanding of the OSPF database, configuring neighbors using different network types, the hello process, the OSPF path selection process, configuration of stubby areas, NSSA; configuration of OSPF costs and clearing of the OSPF process; OSPF route filtering, virtual link configurations and OSPF authentication.
- BGP routing including the configuration of iBGP and eBGP peers; BGP message types, neighbor states, injecting routes and prefixes into the BGP table; detailed understanding of BGP attributes; use of route reflectors; understanding of the BGP path selection process.
- QOS technologies including congestion management and avoidance, software queues and Cisco switch hardware queues, CBWFQ and LLQ basic features and configuration, WRED operation, LAN switch congestion Management and avoidance with a particular emphasis on Cisco 3750 series, 6500 series and 7600 series switches; Shaping and policing concepts including shaping and policing terminology and the underlying mechanics of shaping and policing configuration and operation.
- IP Multicast technologies including a detailed understanding of the IP Multicast structure, distribution of IP multicast traffic with IGMP; IGMP v2 and version 3 implementation; IP Multicast routing with particular emphasis on sparse mode, Source specific multicast routing protocols.
- Cisco router and switch security concepts and implementation including simple password protection for the CLI, AAA Authentication, Authorization and Accounting; Layer 2 security including Port security, dynamic ARP inspection, DHCP snooping, IP source guard, 802.1x authentication, storm control; Layer 3 security including IP access lists, RPF checks, TCP SYN Flood protections.
- Configure, manage and troubleshoot multi-protocol network elements throughout the OSI stack to ensure effective end-to-end communications IMPLS, OSPF, BGP, Firewalls, Access list, VPN) internally and externally.
- Work independently representing agency to other agencies. Accurate and timely status reporting (written and verbal).
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Data Communications, Telecommunications, Electrical Engineering or related field
- 15 years plus of experience in enterprise Network technology leadership and/or Senior Network Engineering role.
- Active Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE) certification
- Certifications in enterprise networking and systems are preferred (NOT required).
- Understanding of the ITIL operational best practices is preferred (NOT required).
- Skills in reporting and ability to translate operational requirements into functional descriptions and conduct on-site surveys to determine communications upgrade alternatives.
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator's license issued from jurisdiction of residence and ability to legally operate a motor vehicle in Maryland, DC and Virginia.
OTHER PERTINENT INFORMATION:
Location: Washington DC
Visit us at ApexCSG.com
Job Type: Full-time
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $90,000.00 to $135,000.00 /year