The New York County District Attorney's Office (DANY) has an opening for a part-time Legal/Medical Consultant (3 days per week) in its Trial Division. The Trial Division has principal responsibility for prosecuting a wide variety of cases such as misdemeanor assault, driving while intoxicated, drug possession, and theft offenses. They also handle more serious felony cases including homicides, shootings, stabbings, sexual assaults, burglaries, assaults, drug and gun possession, robberies, and other types of violent crime. In this position the consultant is responsible for providing a full-range of support to the Assistant District Attorneys (ADAs) in interpreting, organizing and indexing medical reports and testifying as needed in the Grand Jury.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Interpret medical documents for review by attorney.
- Review, summarize, and analyze medical records and other pertinent healthcare and legal documents and compare/correlate them to the legal charges.
- Organize and index medical records, performs detailed analyses and determines that records are complete, including but not limited to identifying missing items and/or additional documents to request.
- Educate attorney and others about medical facts and issues relevant to a case.
- Provide support during discovery, trial, and other legal proceedings.
- Provide expert testimony in Grand Jury.
- Demonstrated effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of personnel.
- Ability to exercise judgment and work independently on assigned tasks, keeping and meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrated research skills.
- Must be detail oriented.
- MD, BSN or RN degree required.
- Minimum 3-5 years medical or nursing/surgical experience.
The New York County District Attorney's Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer