THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This position is located in the Joint Forces Headquarters-State, Logistics Directorate (J-4), Surface Maintenance Facility. The purpose of this position is to perform maintenance, repair, inspection, and/or overhaul of a variety of combat, tactical, commercial, and special purpose vehicles and equipment.
DEFINITION OF AREA(S) OF CONSIDERATION:
Area 1 = Warrant Officer and Enlisted members of the Louisiana National Guard.
Duties & Responsibilities:
(1) Troubleshoots, performs maintenance and major repairs on heavy-duty mobile equipment, combat, tactical and automotive vehicles. This may include self-propelled artillery, tracked cargo and personnel carriers, road graders, mobile cranes, front loaders, conveyors, bulldozers, power shovels, compressors, generators, tanks, tracked combat vehicles, sedans, buses, all terrain vehicles, trucks, semi trailers, forklifts, tractors, and accessory equipment.
(2) Troubleshoots equipment and diagnoses the cause of mechanical failures by means of visual and auditory checks and/or uses test equipment such as engine analyzers, compression testers, voltmeters, ohmmeters, pressure gauges, and computer diagnostic tools.
(3) Removes and disassembles engines and major assemblies, sub-assemblies, components, and fuel, hydraulic, and oil pressure systems. Makes the appropriate repairs, overhaul, or modifications in accordance with the proper repair specifications and procedures. Reassembles engines and other systems, and adjusts, tests, and reinstalls in vehicles and equipment as necessary.
(4) Independently performs repairs and maintenance functions in remote locations that can be accomplished by removing, cleaning, reinstalling, or replacing defective parts of components and systems such as injectors, leaking wheel cylinders, corroded mufflers, fuel tanks, brake cylinders and worn brake shoes, voltage regulators, generators, injector pumps, and fuel pumps.
(5) Conducts readiness and repair inspections on vehicles and associated equipment supported by the activity. Performs operational inspections and ensures vehicles and equipment are properly serviced, including brake adjustments, replacing hydraulic fluids, greasing, cleaning, etc., and performs other preventive maintenance operations as required.
(6) May maintain and repair electronics communication equipment by removing and replacing components and elements. Equipment includes such items as radios, field telephones, amplifiers, switchboards, recorders, intercoms.
(7) Assists in the maintenance of production reports and records, and makes recommendations to the supervisor. Plans, organizes, and performs technical analyses as required or assigned. Makes recommendations to the supervisor as to adjustments necessary to effectively, efficiently and economically accomplish the work and maximize production.
(8) Performs other duties as assigned.
Job family (Series)
5801 Miscellaneous Transportation/Mobile Equipment Maintenance
Conditions of Employment
1) National Guard Membership is required.
2) Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
3) Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
4) May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
MILITARY REQUIREMENTS: Selected candidates will be required to be in a compatible military grade prior to the effective date of placement. Selectee must also be in a compatible military assignment (MOS/AFSC) prior to or within one year of placement.
Military Grades: WARRANT OFFICER AND ENLISTED
Compatible Military Assignments:
WO = CMF: 12, 13, 14, 19, 25, 91, 92, 94, 882A;
ENL = CMF: 12, 13, 14, 19, 25, 88, 91, 92, 94;
SECURITY CLEARANCE: Must maintain appropriate level of security clearance.
***LOUISIANA NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERS - Acceptance of this position may result in the loss of contracted incentive(s). For further details, contact the LANG State Incentive Manager, at (504) 278-8116 (ARMY) 391-8336 (AIR FORCE). ***
NOTICE: THIS EMPLOYER PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY: FEDERAL LAW REQUIRED ALL EMPLOYERS TO VERIFY THE IDENTITY AND EMPLOYMENT ELIGIBILITY OF ALL PERSONS HIRED TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES.
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment.
Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
**THIS POSITION MAY REQUIRE A MEDICAL SCREENING TO QUALIFY FOR POSITION.**
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Must have experience or training which demonstrates knowledge of equipment to be able to do routine jobs, simple preventative maintenance tasks, and is able to use common tools and equipment in the line of work.
(WG-08) - Must have at least Twelve (12) months of experience or training using common hand and power tools and a small variety of test and measurement devices to make mechanical repairs; removing, adjusting, replacing, cleaning, and installing a variety of parts, components, and accessories; which demonstrates a basic understanding of mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic theory applying to vehicles; and skill to replace, fit, install, and make adjustments demonstrating an understanding of the makeup and operation of the various individual systems maintained and their interrelationships; reading and interpreting parts lists, manufactures' repair manuals, diagrams, and electrical schematics.
(WG-10) - Must have at least Eighteen (18) months of experience or training using common hand and power tools and a small variety of test and measurement devices to make mechanical repairs; removing, adjusting, replacing, cleaning, and installing a variety of parts, components, and accessories; which demonstrates a basic understanding of mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic theory applying to vehicles; and skill to replace, fit, install, and make adjustments demonstrating an understanding of the makeup and operation of the various individual systems maintained and their interrelationships; reading and interpreting parts lists, manufactures' repair manuals, diagrams, and electrical schematics.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT & NOTES:
1. Must be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate security clearance of the position.
2. This position is covered by the Domestic Violence Misdemeanor Amendment (30 Sep 96) of the Gun Control Act (Lautenberg Amendment) of 1968. An individual convicted of a qualifying crime of domestic violence may not perform the duties of this position.
3. Ability to establish effective professional working relationships with coworkers and customers, contributing to a cooperative working environment and successful accomplishment of the mission.
4. May occasionally be required to work other than normal duty hours; overtime may be required.
5. The duties and responsibilities of your job may significantly impact the environment. You are responsible to maintain awareness of your environmental responsibilities as dictated by legal and regulatory requirements, your organization, and its changing mission.
You must provide transcripts and/or other documentation as proof to support your Educational claims, and receive credit to meet the Education requirements for this position.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specification, etc. (includes blueprint reading), Ability To Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment, and Knowledge of Equipment Assembly, Installation, Repair, etc.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed.
2. Application Packet (Click Link To Download) and submit other supporting documents.
3. OF 612 - "Optional Application for Federal Employment" (Click Link to Download) Submit only if you do not have a resume.
4. Security Clearance Form (Please complete this form and submit if you do not have at least a "SECRET" security clearance.)
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.