Works for the Italian program to assist in language teaching through independent instruction, support to instruction, cultural activities, and tutoring (including speaking in Italian with language house participants). Under Residential Life oversight, creates/initiates cultural activities and programming in the Italian language house and assists Residential Advisor. Assists the Italian Tenure-Track faculty and VAP with student activities and general tasks (3-4 weekly hours of teaching support when needed, scanning, photocopying, library book pick up, supports 1 activity per block per each faculty, in addition to "Spesso Espresso" (once a week, except week 4) and other Italian House events (film nights, cooking labs, focused Italian conversations, etc) as well as acquisition and creation of new teaching materials.
Anticipated Salary Range:
With the Faculty Advisors oversight, undertakes the following:
With the Residential Life Coordinators oversight, undertakes the following:
- Teaching: Two or Three adjunct maintenance classes - 6 hours/week
- Tutoring: 4-5 hours weekly (when needed) Assistance to tenure-track/tenure professor and VAP: Supports instruction and activities 3-4 hours weekly (when needed)
- Cultural Programming: This is the most time-intensive portion of the job. In charge of the cultural programming for the Italian Language House. Live with students who want to speak the language. Organize and promote cultural activities (i.e. dinners, cooking classes, movie nights, language "tables", campus-wide cultural activities). Design and maintain a Facebook page and Instagram account.
- Attend Residential Life training sessions at the beginning of each semester, and sessions during the semester as needed
- Maintain appropriate documentation and records for the Cultural Coordinator position
- Organize, plan, and execute cultural programs for house residents and the campus community; continually integrating cultural experiences into the residential community
- Collaborate with the Director of Study Abroad and Residential Life Coordinator to create programs to prepare students for experiences abroad, and reconnect students returning from abroad
- Actively recruit and select house members, working under the direction of the Residential Life Coordinator
- Meet monthly with the Residential Life Coordinator and faculty advisor/mentor
- Coordinate the storage and maintenance of items provided to the house by the Office of Residential Life
- Be a visible presence in the house and serving as a role model to house residents, abiding by all College and Residential Life policies
- Contact student staff (Resident Advisor) when policy violations are encountered; keeping the Resident Advisor and/or Residential Life Coordinator informed about any concerns regarding the house or its members
o Actively support the colleges plan to be an antiracist institution by understanding, engaging with, and promoting diversity, inclusion, and equity in the college community.
o Promote a culture of safety and environmental protection by working in a safe manner; immediately reporting unsafe situations and accidents; following college procedures; and participating in appropriate safety training.
o Demonstrate environmental sustainability by using college resources wisely and supporting the colleges sustainability initiatives and innovation.
o Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Arts/Laurea Specialistica in Italian or related field.
- Native Italian speaker, high proficiency in written and spoken English; strong interpersonal and team-working skills.
- Must be a self-starter, adaptable, flexible, able to work with various constituencies, and enthusiastic about Italian culture.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Understanding of appropriate teaching methodologies and classroom strategies.
- Intercultural competence.
Masters degree desirable; Previous experience teaching/interacting with non-native speakers of Italian highly desirable.