Join our award-winning team at University of Washington Medical Center (UWMC). Among the top dozen medical centers in the United States as rated by U.S. News & World Report "America's Best Hospitals", UWMC prides itself on compassionate patient care as well as its pioneering medical advances. UWMC is operated by the University of Washington (UW) and serves as a training site for UW’s School of Medicine. The University of Washington is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty.
Our Resource Management Center has an outstanding opportunity available for a part time 80% FTE day shift MEDICAL STAFFING COORDINATOR. The Staffing Coordinator works within the Resource Management team to provide Patient Care Services staffing, inpatient float pool and/or allocating float staff. This person provides scheduling and hiring of clinical healthcare classified, per diem, and supplemental staff from external agencies/travelers. This person also monitors licensure, certification, and registration of professional and assistive personnel.
The Coordinator is responsible for employee staffing, and scheduling of Resource Team staff. Compiles and maintains documentation of staffing, scheduling, and resource utilization. Ensures accurate entry of schedules and assignments into Kronos Advanced Schedule software. Competitive candidates will exhibit clear and concise communications skills, both verbal and written; have in-depth knowledge of payroll; have experience with scheduling software; and have experience processing and reconciling invoices.
Primary Job Responsibilities include:
- Systematically collects census, staffing requirements, and projected number of admissions from charge nurses to project resource needs and assigns available staff according to established agreements.
- Demonstrates effective communications with charge nurses, NM, co-workers, patient flow supervisors and Resource Team staff.
- Demonstrates effective utilization and cancellation of staff during low census periods.
- Demonstrates flexibility, organization and is able to function effectively in stressful situations.
- Demonstrates creativity, initiative, and critical thinking to solve staffing problems.
- Coordinates scheduling for specific Resource Team work group(s) ensuring schedules meet defined parameters.
- Ensures Kronos schedules for Resource Team are accurate, reflect time worked, and unit assignment.
- Provides customer service to Resource Team and Agency supplemental staff and/or refers to Resource Team leadership for questions regarding scheduling, payroll, or staffing related operations.
- Demonstrates proficiency using technology related to Staffing Office Operations (Kronos, Lawson, Electronic Census Board, Printers, Excel docs, P-Touch, email, intranet websites, etc).
- Identifies and reports actual or potential errors or issues related to Staffing Office operations.
- Monitors licensure per protocol and demonstrates collaborative problem solving with various department and Resource Team supervisory personnel to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Coordinates various Resource Team projects as assigned to promote effective and efficient department operations
- Collaborates with local agencies to resolve issues with supplemental staff assigned to UWMC i.e. scheduling, behavioral, attendance, etc.
- Insures that timesheets for local agency staff are accurate, complete, and comply with contractual agreements.
- Processes invoices for supplemental staff from local agencies, and travelling companies, in compliance with contractual agreements.
- Insures that invoices are submitted, reconciled, and paid in a timely manner.
- Resolves billing issues with external agencies, and travelling companies.
- Maintains a system for verifying that personnel are currently licensed to provide care.
- Maintains current list of all Patient Care Services staff required to be licensed, registered or certified.
- Monitors staff for current license, certification, and registration.
- Audits, periodically, credential status of agency personnel against agency records.
- Maintains list of credentialed agency staff.
- Verifies agency personnel are currently credentialed.
- Maintains payroll system to assure appropriate staff compensation.
- Insures timesheets for Resource Team are accurate, reflect time worked, and unit assignment.
- Insures that hours worked are accurately documented for local agency staff, and travelers.
- Processes invoices for local agency and travelers.
- Insures that invoices are submitted, reconciled, and paid in a timely manner.
- Maintains database, and billing records for audit purposes.
- Explains payroll policies, procedures, and contractual requirements to Resource Team staff, and supplemental staff from local agencies, and travelling companies.
- Resolves payroll discrepancies with UWMC payroll department.
- Provides support for Resource Team/supplemental staff program.
- Orients Resource Team to scheduling, staffing, and payroll operations.
- Serves as a personnel/payroll/systems resource to Resource Team.
- Schedules orientation of Resource Team staff with unit managers.
- Monitors monthly performance summaries for Resource Team members.
- Monitors JCAHO/OSHA requirements for Resource Team, and supplemental staff from local agency.
- Monitors annual evaluations of Resource Team, and local agency staff.
- Insures that 24 hour transportation (house orderly) coverage is available.
- Schedules transporters to insure that coverage is available.
- Provides on site leadership to transporters i.e. personnel, behavioral, equipment issues.
- Develops and maintains a system for monitoring resource allocation, and utilization.
- Insures that data regarding resource allocation and utilization is accurate; data is utilized by general accounting and financial services to charge patient care units for resources utilized.
- Maintains records of invoices from supplemental staffing agencies.
- Exhibits organization of pay practice references, guidelines; assimilates new learnings into future practice.
- Demonstrates processing timecards based on established guidelines and in compliance with governing contracts.
- Assigns work rule transfers appropriately considering employee pay rule and eligibility.
- Demonstrates ability to independently navigate and manage KRONOS widgets.
- Demonstrates ability to reconcile absences, missed punches and overtime exceptions; documenting record accurately in Kronos.
- Demonstrates competency printing various Kronos reports and utilizing KRONOS Exception Logs.
- Demonstrates competency referencing daily staffing assignment sheets and KRONOS exception log to resolve timecard exceptions.
- Demonstrates competency utilizing firstname.lastname@example.org to effectively manage differentials, premiums owed to employees.
- Demonstrates ability to manage employee leave time in reference to established policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates ability to provide new employee department orientation to KRONOS.
- Demonstrates ability to locate and effectively utilize resource information from Human Resources, Labor Relations and Payroll Services.
- Demonstrates ability to perform scheduling duties in KRONOS Advanced Scheduler.
- Demonstrates ability to perform basic Staffing and other clerical functions.
- Demonstrates ability to effectively communicate to internal customers and appropriate escalation to leaders when necessary.
- Demonstrates understanding of role boundaries and practices within scope of practice.
- Bachelors Degree
- Experience with Kronos
As an employee you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please view this page.
High school graduation or equivalent AND two years of experience in the program specialty OR equivalent education/experience.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability, and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.