This position reports to the Director of Public Relations and Coordinator of Public Relations. The pre-season internship program begins February 1 and goes through April 30, with the option to extend through the season. The program is for current students only, for college credit.
This internship program is a hands-on opportunity for students to build their work experience and learn the behind-the-scenes operations of a WNBA team. Interns will participate in all areas of media relations and the many facets of working for a professional sports team. This position will assist the communications department with all initiatives and opportunities as it relates to media relations, public relations, community outreach, player appearances, and engagement and external communications.
Key Program Benefits:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Career Related hands on experience with a Championship Professional Sports Team
- An inside look at the PR and Communication department and game day responsibilities relating to the PR and Communications department
- Overall skill creation with regards to all aspects of PR and Communications
- Opportunity to explore different avenues of the sports industry through access to various departments.
- This is a fun, fast-paced internship that will add real work experience to your resume as well as your coursework.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Gather media clippings and media contacts
- Maintain media lists: local, national, entertainment, business, community and sports
- Assist in writing PR materials for Sparks website
- Assist in the production of media guide and preseason materials
- Mandatory two days in the office; additional days available
- Research media outlets and influencers for PR Campaigns
- Working to achieve Bachelors or Masters degree in Public Relations, Journalism, Sports Management or related fields
- Internships with college sports information department a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills; basketball and WNBA knowledge and passion are strongly preferred
- Quick learner who is able to adapt and excel in various environments
- Strong computer skills including proficiency with HTML, InDesign and Photoshop and social media tools
- Self motivated, positive, reliable and high-energy
- Ability to multi-task, work in a fast-paced and high pressure environment; are detail oriented and extremely organized
Reliable transportation; use of personal vehicle to and from practice and ability to work weekends, nights and holidays
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.