Under the supervision of the Wellness Director, the personal trainer is responsible for promoting fitness and wellness through the YMCA personal training program. He/She must understand and have a commitment to serving the general population in their pursuit of health and well-being. He/She must be proficient in developing and facilitating safe, well planned small group sessions. He/She must be able to build positive relationships with members and staff and be a role model for them, exemplifying high standard and values. He/She must manage those functions in accordance with the stated mission, goals, and policies stated by the YMCA.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Hold a current certification in personal training by a recognized certifying organization (ACSM, ACE, AFAA, NSCA, NASM, Crossfit Level I/II)
- Hold a current certification in CPR. Obtain First Aid and Blood Bourne pathogen certifications within first 60 days of employment
- Flexible schedule. Early morning, evening and weekend hours
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness
to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Conduct fitness assessments and personal training appointments with members and maintain records of such with health screening, informed consent and medical clearance form
- Communicate/follow-up with members in a timely manner
- Ensure that all YMCA personal training policies are being adhered to by your own actions and the actions of your clients
- Be sure that all sessions are financially accounted for by your clients and class participants and all payment receipts are properly handled
- Assist in the promotion of the YMCA personal training program
- Other duties and responsibilities assigned by supervisor