- Best Consideration Date: 3/24/2023
Purpose of Position
The Director provides leadership in collaborative efforts with enrollment management divisions within the University System of Maryland (USM) and across the state to enhance student recruitment, retention, persistence, and completion, with attention to ensuring equitable access and success for diverse populations of students. The position supports institutions and the USM through strategic use of partnerships and data-informed tools to attract students to the USM, facilitate transfer to the USM, improve the student experience, and enhance processes.
Enrollment Management Strategic Planning:
- Provides leadership in identifying and supporting initiatives, programs, and policies that promote enrollment, retention, persistence, and completion.
- Reviews appropriate plans and data to assess progress toward goals.
- Convenes and facilitates the work of affinity groups in areas including, but not limited to, admissions, financial aid, residency, inter-institutional registration, international student services, and records and registration. Also works with the Associate Vice Chancellor in convening and partnering with the senior executives of enrollment management.
Transfer and Articulation Leadership & Collaboration:
- Leads the engagement of community college enrollment services and USM staff to facilitate a seamless transfer experience for students seeking admission to USM institutions. As part of this work, partners with the Product and Program Manager of ARTSYS to convene partners and plan training and marketing activities related to ARTSYS.
- Collaborates with USM institutions to share and promote successful strategies for the entry, persistence, and graduation of transfer students.
- Leads the organization of, and provides administrative oversight to, professional development activities for enrollment management professionals at the statewide level (i.e., the intersegmental Enrollment Management Professionals Day, Inter-Campus Conference gatherings, and potentially others).
USM leadership for initiatives supporting student financial assistance:
- Represents USM on the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) Financial Aid Advisory Council.
- Collaborates with USM institutions’ financial aid leadership to advance opportunities to support students with financial need, especially those with the greatest need.
- Remains current with existing and proposed financial aid regulations, legislation, and programs to help ensure USM institutions are compliant and responsive to students.
- Supports strategic use of financial assistance to assist in meeting enrollment goals.
Education: Master’s degree
- Ten or more years of progressively responsible administrative experience in higher education, including developing or leading student enrollment initiatives.
- Experience with enrollment management planning, including development of strategies related to recruitment, retention, persistence, and completion.
- Experience with transfer student enrollment and articulation and with leading groups of people, either through supervision or through implementation of collaborative efforts.
- Experience in working effectively with a broad range of audiences (students, faculty, campus leadership, external stakeholders such as legislators, agency representatives, or trustees).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrable understanding of barriers to student success and strategies for overcoming them.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Current knowledge of enrollment management models, strategies, and data management and use.
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills, both written and oral.
- Exceptional listening skills with a capacity for synthesizing and articulating consensus and concerns.
- Understanding of and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion principles.
Experience: Experience at one or more Maryland public institutions working with transfer students in an administrative capacity. Experience with strategic planning at the college or university level; some experience with scholarships or financial aid.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Good understanding of Title IV regulations.
Benefits: Includes full medical, dental and vision benefits, tuition remission at any of the 12 USM institutions, a generous leave plan, and the option to telework for part of the week. See full benefits summary here: https://www.usmd.edu/usm/adminfinance/USMExemptStaffBenefitSummary2022.pdf.
Application Instructions: Please combine your cover letter, resume and list of references (at least three references with contact information) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $63,974.00 - $189,600.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Adelphi, MD 20783: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Adelphi, MD 20783