Cognosante is seeking to fill Cloud Database Administrator positions in support of VA (Veterans Administration) Cloud Operations and Migration Services (COMS) capability to provide operational input and support for the operations, maintenance, and refinement of VA’s Enterprise Cloud (VAEC) environment, execution support for migrating new and legacy VA applications and services to cloud computing and continuous improvement of VA’s IT infrastructure. The candidate will support our VA clients in their cloud operations to enhance, optimize, and maintain their computing capabilities across their technical landscape. This includes working with our Cloud Architects when interviewing clients to understand application and infrastructure current state. Working with our Cloud Architects leading client working sessions to identify, categorize, prioritize and analyze data and information to work into cloud migration action plans. Working with the larger project teams to migrate legacy applications to their cloud platform. The Cloud Database Administrator must have extensive expertise with Cloud Service Providers (CSPs) Microsoft Azure and/or Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Collaborate with Cloud Architects to provide operations and migration services that enable VA to tailor the availability and delivery of cloud computing services based on business and technical requirements
- Utilize the future VA Enterprise Cloud Operational Tools (VAECOT), CSP native portals and tools, and/or other VA TRM-approved tools necessary to provide operations and migration support
- Assist with upgrading, installing, and configure monitoring solution for AWS for Windows and Linux servers
- Support day-to-day operations and management of an enterprise level production database in the cloud
- Develop, manage and test installations, upgrades, replication, backup and recovery of current databases
- Monitors user access and performance of the database systems
- Create best practices for cloud database operations
- Participation in maintenance windows and on-call rotation is required
Additional Minimum Qualifications:
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, electronics engineering or other engineering or technical discipline is required. (8 years of additional relevant experience may be substituted for education)
- A solid understanding of networking/distributed computing environment concepts; understands principles of routing, client/server programming, the design of consistent network-wide file system layouts, high traffic/high availability networking concepts like load balancing, clustering
- Experience working with load balancing technologies and large scale web server farms.
- Very strong and solid experience of database administration in a cloud environment. Experience with replication/clustering and partitioning a must.
- Experience writing and executing stress tests on databases and services
- Knowledge of indexes, index management, statistics, data-at-rest encryption, secure connectivity
- Strong OS and application scripting skills
- Experience monitoring web server performance
- Experience writing technical documentation, especially in relation to Cloud architecture
- Hands-on experience with Microsoft Azure and/or Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Experience with network and/or systems administration in Linux/Unix and/or Windows environments
- Able to pass a background check to obtain a Public Trust (High-Risk) Position
- Must be a U.S. citizen
Candidates that do not meet the minimum qualifications will not be considered.
- Previous Federal Government experience preferably at VA
- Experience with cloud database technologies (ex: AWS RDS, Redshift, DynamoDB, CosmosDB, MS SQL Azure, etc.)
- Experience with VA’s configuration of IBM Rational Toolset for management, configuration and reporting of work products.
- Experience working in a CMMI-DEV or CMMI-SVC environment at Maturity Level 3 or above
- One or more Microsoft or Amazon cloud certifications
- One or more database certification (ex: Oracle, Microsoft, etc.)
- Experience with database modeling tools such as Erwin
- Experience with Big Data concepts and technologies, especially using AWS or Azure (ex: MongoDB, Redshift, etc.)
- ITIL certification or experience with ITIL
- Active clearance for Public Trust (High-Risk) Position
- Experience with Agile and DevOps model
- Full System Development Life Cycle (SDLC) experience using an Agile methodology (preferably Scrum)