Administrative Support Coordinator II
$3,115/month - $5,475/month
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Reporting to the Director, the Administrative Assistant of Student Conduct and Ethical Development coordinates administrative and clerical support functions for the Student Conduct Administrator (Director), Associate Director, Assistant Director and Faculty Fellow. The Administrative Assistant assists with the student conduct administration for San José State University. The nature of the work performed by the Administrative Assistant of Student Conduct and Ethical Development is highly sensitive and requires interpretation of CSU and university policies and procedures. This position assists with maintaining the student conduct database and is responsible for fiscal operations and human resources.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Serve as Student Conduct and Ethical Development's primary contact; respond to questions
(via telephone calls, emails, and in-person), analyze and solve problems.
- Consult with faculty, staff, and administrators on potential alleged violations and provide
guidance and resources.
- Schedule appointments with students, employees, and community members.
- Coordinate meetings, conferences, and workshops, to include facility and technology
reservations, catering, promotional and program materials, and assessment.
- Delegate job tasks and responsibilities to Student Assistant(s); ensure completion of tasks
- Coordinate formal hearing logistics, to include facility and technology reservations, hearing
materials, timely notifications, supporting the hearing officer, and maintaining audio recording
- Facilitate background and subpoena requests.
- Coordinate travel arrangements, to include travel requests, registration, transportation and
hotel reservations, and reimbursement.
- Ensure timely entry of case pertinent information in the student conduct database (Maxient or
- Process academic dishonesty violations, to include: issue charges and a factual description of
the alleged conduct, notification to students and faculty, case assignment, resolution, and
assignment of academic and administrative sanctions.
- Assist the Director with managing the Student Conduct and Ethical Development budget.
- Contribute to and promote events, activities, and experiences that enhance student success.
Completion of a high school program, technical/vocational program, or their equivalents and three years of related office work experience.
- Bachelor's degree
- Two years of professional work experience in student records or a related field (police,
- Two years of experience in a high volume setting providing excellent customer service in
higher education or related environment.
- Experience using databases (i.e.: SIS, Maxient, PeopleSoft, FileMaker Pro, Excel
Spreadsheet) or comparable databases.
- Strong written communication skills.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills including the demonstrated ability to effectively
present information and respond to questions from students, faculty, staff, administrators, and
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive interactions with students,
faculty, staff, administrators, and external agencies.
- Ability to learn and articulate the educational approach to student conduct in a university
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment.
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Ability to function well independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability to use independent judgment, critical thinking skills and analytical skills.
- Ability to apply professional judgment in determining notification to appropriate administrators
concerning student behavior.
- Ability to mediate conflict and provide dispute resolution in a fair and objective manner.
- Ability to learn and use student conduct databases (e.g., Maxient).
- Knowledge of software applications: work processing, spreadsheet, database management.
- Ability to develop publications, produce reports, and maintain a website.
- Knowledge of methods, procedures and practices; English grammar, business writing,
punctuation and spelling.
- Ability to research, understand, interpret, and apply technical procedures or regulations as well
as federal, state, CSU and university policies and procedures.
- Ability to analyze complex situations accurately and adopt effective courses of action.
- Knowledge of assessment/evaluation practices.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse environment.
October 4, 2018
Application Screening begins October 19, 2018.
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes:
criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046