SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities, has an excellent and immediate opening for the Assistant Director of Operations for SMG/ Pennsylvania Convention Center. The Assistant Director of Operations is responsible for the daily activities required to run, maintain, and service the facility and/or the events by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate supervisors:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists with the direction, supervision and scheduling of all aspects of Operations, including Event Set-Up Services and Housekeeping Departments.
- Coordinates the Operations activities with other departments and event related contractors to assure facility readiness and smooth operation of events.
- Implements and updates facility rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Provides clear, concise, and timely communication of directives to other departments.
- Ensures that Operations Department receives pertinent information for the most effective use of the facility and staffing.
- Oversees maintenance of the equipment and machines.
- Assists in the preparation of the Annual Operating Budget and recommends a capital budgets for 1-year and 5-year long-range repairs and improvements to the facility.
- Authorizes the requisition of equipment and supplies within budget guidelines.
- Provides yearly inventory of all equipment.
- Knows and ensures all laws, codes, ordinances, policies, procedures, Risk Management, safety precautions, rules/regulations and emergency procedures are followed.
- Develops program to train all employees on Fire/Life Safety, Emergency and OSHA Procedures.
- Investigates, analyzes and resolves operational problems and complaints. Conducts periodic staff meetings to discuss procedures, problems and policy changes.
- Works closely with the Director/General Manager/Assistant General Manager and Director of Facilities in the preparation and negotiation of Service Agreements. Reviews contracts for compliance with events and /or government specifications and suitability for occupancy.
- Negotiates with vendors, unions, contractors and/or service providers.
- Develops and implement preventive maintenance schedules, emergency procedures, safety and Risk Management policies in compliance with all Corporate and governmental regulations.
- Assist Director of Operations/GM/AGM and Facilities Director in implementation of any energy saving guidelines.
- Coordinates special projects, such as construction, remodeling or expansion. Plans and directs outside vendors/contractors work to assure compliance with contracts and safety requirements.
The Assistant Director of Operations manages subordinate supervisors in any of the following departments: Set Up Changeover, Housekeeping, Maintenance and Operations Departments. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units; Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with SMG's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding; disciplining employees in conjunction with Human Resources; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor's Degree from technical college with major in Management or Maintenance Engineering; Additional experience may be substituted for education
- Minimum of 2 years' experience in Supervising or Managing in a similar facility
- Supervisory experience required
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent organization skills
- Ability to prioritize and to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Good written, verbal and interpersonal skills required; ability to interact with all levels of staff including management
- Ability to effectively supervise staff
- Professional presentation, appearance and work ethic
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have working knowledge of spreadsheet software and work processing software and be proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to work with limited supervision and as a team member
- Requires ability to work flexible and extended hours, including nights, weekends and holidays, in addition to normal business hours
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to walk extensively, occasionally required to kneel, climb to high walkways or balance. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
This position requires work inside and outside of the building and some exposure to adverse conditions.
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
Applicants that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may contact- 1-800-428-9000.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.