We have an exciting and unique opportunity for a skilled and energetic Senior Software Engineer to join the realtor.com team in our Santa Clara, CA office. You'll have the chance to work in a startup culture with the support of a large company. You will "wear many hats" planning system design, building products, and directly interacting with customers. The team has a wealth of great real estate experience. You'll be building out product capabilities that digitize the entire real estate transaction process and help bring real-time data to agents, consumers, and vendors.
In this role, your responsibilities will touch on all stages of the software engineering lifecycle: understanding customer requirements, designing the application, writing/testing/deploying code, and monitoring the system for issues. There will also be opportunity to exercise your highly developed collaboration abilities interacting with other technology teams on broader cross-organization initiatives. The ideal candidate is a generalist who enjoys challenge and variety; and is familiar with a "Lean Startup" approach to building a business.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Education, Skills and Experience:
- Design data products that deliver engaging insights and recommendations.
- Work with our data scientists on challenging problems that involve AI / Data Science in domains such as natural language processing, image content analysis and predictive modeling.
- Work with a team of talented team of data engineers and backend developers on processing 3rd party data feeds, clickstreams, logs and a variety of large datasets for creating compelling consumer experiences using them.
- Collaborate with Product Management and User Experience regarding consumer data product definition, schedule, scope, and project-related decisions.
- Develop solutions that are high quality, scalable, reliable, and reusable.
- Work collaboratively in an Agile/Scrum team to plan sprints, expand stories into tasks, work on removing impediments, and execute at top velocity.
Personal characteristics include:
- Bachelors or Master's degree in Computer Science/Engineering or related field.
- Hands-on experience in Big Data Components/Frameworks such as Hadoop, Spark, Storm, HBase, HDFS, Pig, Hive, Scala, Kafka, PyScripts, Unix Shell scripts.
- Experience with search systems (ElasticSearch, Lucene, Solr).
- Experience in architecture and implementation of large and highly complex big data projects.
- Good understanding of relational databases and solid SQL skills
- Strong backend services / API development experience, preferably using Node.js and REST/JSON.
- Understanding of the best practices in data quality and quality engineering.
- Experience working with data scientists and scaling a variety of models (Preferred).
- Experience with unit test frameworks, and test automation tools is a definite asset (Preferred).
- You are passionate about creating world-class web experiences for our customers and will work hard to achieve this.
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to clearly communicate technical concepts in simple terms.
- Passion for learning, continuous improvement, sharing and working in a team environment.
- You take pride in writing clean, quality code, but can balance this with business practicality.
- You hold a point of view and aren't afraid of challenging assumptions, but are humble enough to recognize when you are mistaken.
- You are able to learn quickly and effectively apply new knowledge, demonstrating the desire to stay in touch with emerging technologies.
- Passion about real estate or experience with buying/selling a home is a big plus (but not required). We love real estate and it would be great if you did, too!