Plenus Group, Inc. is a Lowell, MA based maker of premium, value-added specialty foods with an emphasis on soups, sauces, and gourmet frozen food items. Our mission remains the same since our inception: to produce quality, culinary-driven products and to be a valued supplier and business partner to our customers. The roots of Plenus Group, Inc. go back to a single recipe for that quintessential New England dish, clam chowder. Our signature New England Clam Chowda was first served up Boston’s bustling Faneuil Hall Marketplace in the late 1980s and quickly proved to be so popular that it launched the food manufacturing business that became PGI.
Research & Development Specialist
Position Summary: The Research & Development Specialist coordinates with chef, owners, sales team, customers, controller, managerial staff, purchaser, QA/QC team and floor staff to place new products into production and update existing products in production. Responsible for food handling in accordance with food safety protocols based on Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) plans.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain a neat, sanitized and organized test kitchen.
- Maintain and manage retain sample inventory.
- Manage and record daily production sample reviews and taste panel results.
- Prepare sample recipes as directed by chefs.
- Assist in requisitioning and recording usage of raw materials/ingredients as needed.
- Maintain and manage sample inventory and record keeping on all development samples.
- Assist in execution of customer R&D shipments.
- Develop and write new recipes under chefs’ supervision.
- Perform visual inspections of finished products.
- Ability to identify food trends and bring to life with food experiences.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to collaborate with all levels of the organization.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Work is performed while standing, sitting and/or walking.
- Requires the ability to communicate effectively using speech, vision and hearing.
- Requires the use of hands for simple grasping and fine manipulations.
- Requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, and reaching.
- Requires the ability to lift, carry, push or pull medium weights, up to 60 pounds.
- Requires activities involving being around moving machinery, exposure to marked changes in temperature and humidity, and exposure to dust, food allergens and gas.
- Must be able to work in the heat/steam and cold environment and do manual labor.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Associates degree in culinary arts or science preferred with a minimum of 1+ year of related experience in a food manufacturing environment.
- Strong culinary background and skills.
Benefits include: Health and Dental Insurance, Paid Holiday and Vacation, 401k, STD, LTD, Life Insurance and Voluntary benefits.
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Opportunity Employer / Drug Free Workplace
Job Type: Full-time
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Innovative -- innovative and risk-taking
- Aggressive -- competitive and growth-oriented
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative