We are currently seeking to fill a Commissioning Engineer / Lead Engineer position in King of Prussia, PA. The successful candidate living in this area will be required to have a bachelor’s Degree, Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience and a minimum of 15 years’ experience as a Commissioning Engineer / Lead Engineer with significant substation, transmission, and distribution experience.
Commissioning Engineer / Lead Engineer are responsible for the correct and safe performance of all electrical equipment involved in a substation project. The Commissioning Engineer / Lead Engineer must acquire, through training and practical experience, appropriate background knowledge in such areas as standard and special construction requirements, control systems, protective relay systems, and equipment inspection and test methods. Commissioning Engineer / Lead Engineer is responsible to perform and meet the requirements of procedure AM-PE-1052.
- Coordinating with the construction manager (CM) an overall project work scope and approved secondary blocking plan prior to start of field work.
- Identifying critical work activities with CMs and installers.
- Participating in secondary blocking activities
- Coordinating testing activities between the testing groups and CM/installer.
- Monitoring construction activities and ensuring equipment installations are in compliance with approved project documentation and Exelon Utilities standards.
- Supporting energization of new or modified equipment in support of testing activities.
- Directing phase-out activities and/or coordinating with responsible testing personnel.
- Assisting CM in resolving design, construction, and test exceptions with the Project Engineer/LRE.
- Reviewing test results and coordinating any required retesting.
- Verifying ready to start procedures are complete prior to energizing equipment.
- Developing a punch list for commissioning activities prior to project turnover.
- Incorporating TAWI’s into schematic and single line drawings as required based on S&C changes.
Work Package development:
- Participates in project planning and scheduling meetings. This includes development of work sequence, testing scope, and outage planning.
- Review project design documents and drawings to develop a detailed installation test plan.
- Coordinates with other project team members during test plan development.
- Generates Apparatus test letter
- Generates Relay test letter
- Generates phase out procedure
- Perform a detailed review of schematic drawings and S&C’s. As a minimum all tie-in points to other relay/control schemes will be verified during this review.
- Develop secondary blocking plan and attend approval meeting.
- Develop work instruction to support panel wiring associated with critical activities.
- Generates HRE’s when required with assistance from the project team.
- Brief responsible CM on overall project work scope and approved secondary blocking plan prior to start of field work
- Identifies critical work activities with CM and installer. Direct this work as determined by the project team/ plan
- Participate in secondary blocking activities in support of CM and installer
- Coordinates testing activities between test groups and CM/installer
- Monitors construction activities and ensure equipment installations are in compliance with project documentation and PECO standards
- Assists with PECO quality assurance and safety standards during construction activities
- Supports energization of new or modified equipment in support of testing activities.
- Directs phase-out activities and/or coordinates with responsible testing personnel
- Assists CM in resolves design, construction, and test exceptions with Project Engineer/LRE
- Stop work authority if not being done IAW PECO standards or approved plan
- Reviews test results and coordinates any required retesting
- Verifies ready to start procedures are complete prior to energizing equipment
- Develops a punch list for commissioning activities prior to project turnover
- Supports CM with as-built (TAWI), on site & design as-built drawings, and Vendor documents
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Working knowledge of electrical transmission and distribution, and substation design and construction project requirements, activities and details, progression of work, and quality control.
- Working knowledge of project activity progress data and reporting.
- Proficient in obtaining, organizing, and reporting project progress input from stakeholders.
- Proficient in MS-Excel, MS-Word, MS-PowerPoint, and MS-SharePoint
Able to read, understand and obtain information from electrical design and construction documents.
- Able to evaluate project planned, actual, accrued and forecasted data for project progress reporting.
- Able to plan, organize, and time manage work assignments to meet required objectives.
Any offer of employment is conditional upon the successful completion of a drug screening as well as a background investigation. Only candidates with the qualifications for this position will be contacted.
This full-time position is based in:
Relocation assistance may be provided for out of state hires.
LaFata Contract Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type: Full-time
- Transmission, Distribution, or Substation: 10 years
- Electric Utilities: 10 years
- Control systems: 10 years
- Relay line: 10 years
- Transmission line relays: 10 years
- Substation upgrades: 10 years
Required work authorization: