Sign In or Create Account
Use Facebook or Google to sign in or register with SimplyHired.
Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
The Fiber Technician position is an entry level to mid-level construction worker that can perform or be willing to learn both aerial and underground cable and fiber installation work, splice fiber, build a good working knowledge of aerial and underground rules and regulations. In addition, the Fiber Technician will have the opportunity to undertake a lead and/or a foreman role in the field for both aerial and underground fiber related work with a strong concentration in drop fiber splicing.
Pay Rates: Starting pay rates are based on experience and/or existing certifications/licensing with opportunity to make over $20/hour
1. Terminate, splice, and install a variety of fiber optic connectors and enclosures including both loose tube fiber and ribbon fiber
2. Proficient in fiber color codes, in using fiber tools and fiber optic test equipment including fusion splicer, power meter and OTDR
3. Knowledge of applicable electronic equipment and specialty tools
4. Ability to troubleshoot damaged fiber, effectively and efficiently
5. Ability to read, understand and update splice documentation and maps as required
6. Be available for 7 day / 24 hour stand by periods every 2 weeks
7. Climb and use ladders on poles for accessing aerial fiber plant
8. Perform aerial construction activities, including but not limited to, installing aerial fiber, installing fiber storage (snow shoes), completing pole transfers, and performing cleanup work
9. Perform underground construction activities, including but not limited to, pulling new cable/fiber through conduits, digging up and repairing damaged conduit and underground vaults or pedestals
10. Ability to travel and stay overnight within the coverage area
11. Basic computer skills including working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
12. Perform other related duties as required
1) Other duties as assigned
Both Hand-On and Field training will be provided; however, any experience, certifications and/or licenses pertaining to this, or relevant industries is recommended.
Education preferred but not required:
1. Education and/or Experience: Minimum of two (2) years in cable construction and/or
engineering experience with a thorough understanding of all aspects relative to FTTX
Experience preferred but not required:
· Minimum of 2 years of splicing experience in telecommunications or utility industry
· Proven ability to understand and follow directions
· Must be in good physical condition with the ability to stoop, crawl, bend at the knees and waist, squat and lift 75 lbs.
· Must be able to stand for long periods of time on varied surfaces including long time periods on a ladder
· Must be able to pass pre-employment screening that includes background and drug testing. May be required to work long and unpredictable hours, including work after normal business hours in the event physical restoration of fiber plant is needed.
· Position requires working outdoors in all types of weather
· Must possess valid state driver’s license
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $17.00 to $23.00 /year