Full-time, 12 months with option to extend an additional 12 months
Quantum Spatial is seeking a GIS Specialist to work directly with its federal government client at the Federal Center in Lakewood, Colorado. The successful candidate will apply their cartographic knowledge and GIS expertise to developing processes, documenting workflows, diagnosing application issues, and ensuring data quality for a variety of mapping projects.
- Perform as technical authority in areas of automated cartographic design, compilation, and construction.
- Use computer technology to produce intermediate-scale (100K) National Mapping Program maps, thematic maps, illustrations (printing, on-demand plotting, on-line release) and other graphics (such as Land Status Color Guides, PLSS, special area boundary plots) for both internal map compilation and external off-set printing.
- Conduct map production using Windows 10 systems, with multiple versions of Esri’s ArcGIS software, as well as other supporting hardware and software.
- Digitally acquire, compile, process, convert, update, edit, and attribute spatial data files.
- Develop and utilize Python and Model Builder program scripts and tools to process digital data files, assign line weights, polygon shades, and place annotation for plotting purposes.
- Maintain a comprehensive digital database and metadata for the finished digital map products.
- Design procedures for data analysis and retrieval.
- Maintain cartographic database integrity by ensuring that data input procedures have been followed.
- Develop best practices and processes allowing for future migration from Esri’s ArcMap (ArcGIS Desktop) to ArcGIS Pro.
- Create documentation for the process of creating digital map files, or for any other process developed.
- Attend regular meetings to review work progress and schedule.
- Submit weekly report which summarizes finished and ongoing tasks.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Geography, GIS, Cartography or related field.
- Demonstrate professional experience of greater than 2 years with a thorough knowledge of the processes and techniques for the design and construction of a variety of complex cartographic materials in an environment of limited source materials.
- Experience using Esri’s ArcGIS software, including basic editing skills. These skills should include the knowledge and use of topological editing processes.
- Experience with Adobe Acrobat software.
- Knowledge of scripting tools used to automate processes in ESRI ArcGIS software such as Python or Model Builder.
- Demonstrate professional knowledge of the concepts, theories, principles, and practices of both traditional and digital cartography.
- Skill and knowledge to edit small, intermediate and large-scale maps, involving the adaptation or modification of existing work practices and procedures from conventional cartographic techniques and practices.
- Knowledge of related scientific disciplines such as geometry, land surveying, remote sensing, and GIS.
- Knowledge of geographic, state plane, geographic coordinate database (GCDB), UTM grid, and public land survey system (PLSS) adjustments, including their mathematical relationships, relative accuracies and appropriate use of each.
- Knowledge of Survey and Master Title Plats, their implementation as a graphic tool and their annotations.
- Knowledge and application of mapping specifications, content, and requirements to respond to inquiries regarding the information portrayed on or used in cartographic products.
- Extensive knowledge of digital cartography, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), and Land Information Systems (LIS) to ensure that the temporal, positional, thematic definition and data attributing for the emerging systems is met.
All job offers with Quantum Spatial are contingent upon passing a background check and drug screening.
How to Apply
We realize the unacceptable lack of diversity in our industry and we refuse to ignore it. We proactively address this with our office culture and hiring practices. If you are not sure whether or not you’d be a fit, we say go ahead and apply!
Please upload a letter of interest, and resume with professional references in one (1) PDF via online application process. We do read every cover letter and will not accept applications without them, help us get to know you!
No phone calls or emails, please. Incomplete applications and auto-reply submissions will not be considered.
Quantum Spatial is a proud and committed Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, or any other protected status.