- The Manager Application Development is responsible for the implementation and maintenance of business and technical systems support as well as data transmissions and retrievals from suppliers and partners. The manager is responsible for the evaluation and implementation of standards and procedures which support the Enterprise’s application infrastructure.
- The Manager Application Development is tasked to implement Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) within the Enterprise and meet the requirements of SOR’s future state technology posture.
Problems and Challenges
- The Manager Application Development is faced with the challenge of designing and revising the application development processed to best meet internal and external customer requirements, while maximizing the productivity of the application development team, and the maintainability of software systems. They will also need to keep abreast of new technologies, incorporate those technologies when appropriate, and to motivate others to utilize them while aligning with industry and SOR best-practice solutions.
- The Manager Application Development is tasked with understanding all of the application operating policies and procedures of the Enterprise. The manager must confirm all designs to the Enterprise standards of SOR’s strategies, including record retention, record destruction, security, best-practice, and all mandated requirements such as Sarbanes-Oxley, and PCI-DSS.
Essential Position Functions
- Directs the development of the components of Enterprise-wide integrated information systems, while providing functional guidance and direction to the Software Application Development team members
- Coordinates a close relationship with the Project Management Office (PMO) and Product teams, to assist in developing standard components of an Enterprise-wide integrated web platform
- Establishes standards to which the application developers must adhere, thereby providing an Enterprise-wide set of standards and development processes
- Strong object oriented programming and design
- Working knowledge of object oriented patterns (design, architecture, integration, etc.)
- Very knowledgeable about the C# language including common coding conventions and idioms
- Fundamental understanding of http based communication technologies and techniques (Web API / Web API 2, SOAP Web Services, WCF, AJAX, emerging asynchronous web programming models, etc.)
- Understanding of data architecture and data access technologies and techniques (particularly ADO.NET, one or more object relational mappers, fluency in T-SQL or another dialect of SQL)
- Familiar with code refactoring and abstraction techniques
- Facilitates the development of application systems which are designed to provide information in a timely and efficient manner
- Working with the Dev leadership team, evaluates and recommends state-of-the-art development tools for use within the applications development environments to achieve the most efficient mix of system design and software development tools to enable the best solutions to meet business needs
- Coordinates the standardization of development and interfacing of systems among servers while maintaining responsibility for the development, implementation, and maintenance of business systems which facilitate management effort and the decision-making process
- Recognizes and identifies potential areas where existing policies and procedures require change, or where new ones need to be developed, especially regarding future business or team expansion
- Hires, onboards, supervises, assigns projects to, and evaluates Development Team members
- Identify potential service level problems before they occur and implement or communicate solutions
- Review workload and analyze staffing requirements, make recommendations regarding employment, promotions, salary adjustment, and termination. Perform employee counseling and evaluate work performance
- Enforce departmental operating procedures, applicable security procedures and support/practice needs to ensure that the quality of service provided meets business requirements
- Participate in the development and implementation of processes that improve efficiency and enhance productivity
- Within the organization, contact is required with applications development team members, Project Management, and application support personnel
- BS or BA degree in computer science, mathematics, engineering, business or related field is recommended
- Graduate level degree is desirable in computer science or related field
- Minimum of 4 years experience in applications development methodologies, with minimum 3 years as a Software Engineer within the Microsoft stack
- Knowledge at a high level of current techniques and hardware capabilities of a large scale computing environment
- Supervisory experience and ability to plan and control projects
- Ability to understand, and clearly relate to other members of the organization, technical manuals, software specifications, hardware principals of operations, and general methods of applications software development methodologies and techniques
- The successful Manager Application Development could move into the Director or Vice President role of application systems development positions
Job Type: Full-time