Towson University (TU) is one of the nation’s top 100 public universities. Located north of Baltimore, TU currently enrolls over 22,000 students and is the second-largest university in the prestigious University System of Maryland. Towson University values diversity and fosters a climate that is grounded in respect and inclusion to cultivate the intellectual and personal growth of the entire university community.
This position oversees all technical operations at the Institute for Well-Being (IWB) including hardware and software solutions, cloud-based computing, smart classrooms, digital audio/videorecording systems, business systems, medical documentation applications, and website content management responsibilities. The Technical Coordinator makes sure that the day-to-day operations are running smoothly, troubleshoots problems as they occur, plans for future technology needs, and coordinates with campus technical support staff to manage or solve larger issues. This position will participate with the College of Health Professions (CHP) technology group as a member providing support to the college, cross-training with the group to provide back-up support and take part in projects and duties as assigned. This position participates on a team to ensure HIPAA compliance and confidentiality of information throughout all clinical areas, including medical record management, security assessments for all program specific technology, management of IWB information security policies and procedures.
Responsibilities and Duties
Computer and Equipment Assurance and Compliance
- Secure and maintain data according to HIPAA standards.
- Develop regular assessments of class, office, and clinical equipment using desktop management toolset, monitor third party applications, desktop computer performance, distribute software, deploy patches and updates, establish routine data backup systems and test recoverability, and analyze usage trends and patterns.
- Manage computer and user organizational unit in active directory for faculty, staff and students.
Software and Hardware Solutions
- Develop workflow applications and business solutions with TU provided software and 3rd party applications (e.g., Web forms, Zoom Administration, JotForm Administration, Bookings, VALT).
- Investigate and resolve critical problems as they arise with hardware and software systems.
- Create Access, SQL Server, or Oracle databases to manage building and clinical equipment assets.
- Responsible for security of health and financial data ensuring it meets HIPAA privacy standards. Conduct annual HIPAA compliance risk assessment with IWB Leadership and University compliance teams.
- Collaborate with University Office of Technology Services (OTS), IWB staff and CHP staff to meet the current and future technology needs of the College.
Documentation, Training, Teaching and Digital Video Solutions
- Develop training documentation, instructional videos, standard operating procedures for use of existing equipment.
- Identify and develop solutions for future needs.
- Conduct trainings for equipment use when needed.
- Administer/Manage video recording system (VALT) according to HIPAA standards, including reservations, servers, and user access.
Planning & Research
- Conduct needs assessments, research, investigate and test software and hardware products to resolve issues or meet end user needs.
- Determine performance or compatibility problems prior to implementation, present potential technical solutions to staff, prepare supporting specifications and materials for competitive bidding when needed.
- Propose new technologies and/or efficiencies.
Web and Social Media Management
- Maintain IWB websites and manage social media sites in consultation with IWB Leadership team and University Marketing.
- Use web content editors/content management systems to create/manage web pages.
- Research, determine, deploy and integrate third-party web applications to support IWB website requirements including registration systems and online forms.
- Support the IWB and CHP with other duties as needed.
Salary and Benefits
Competitive salary and full University benefits that include 22 days of annual leave, up to 14 holidays, personal and sick days; excellent health, life, and retirement plans; and tuition remission.