An employee in this position is responsible for providing clerical services in the School Counseling Office. Employees type correspondence, process various reports and information, greet visitors, answer telephone inquiries, and maintain files and records. The work involves handling and processing confidential information and directing students that require assistance. All important aspects of the work are subject to established procedures.
The following information is intended to describe the overall nature and scope of the work being performed in relation to the position. This is not a comprehensive listing of all responsibilities or tasks; other work may be assigned when deemed appropriate:
- • Plans, initiates, and organizes administrative activities within the School Counseling Office.
- Serves as the administrative assistant to the Director of School Counseling and support the school counselors.
- Manages inquiries made by parents, staff members, and visitors. Responds to the inquiries at the assistant level and provides the remaining to the director or the counselor.
- Prepares and or reviews correspondence requested by the director.
- Assists in the preparation of transcripts and college admission documentation.
- Conducts research requested by the director or school counselors.
- Assembles and maintains the student’s scholastic record.
- Prepares and processes various reports and information requested by the director.
- Retrieves and manipulates student information to create local, state, and federal required reports.
- Maintains files and records to include hardcopies and electronic files.
- Assists with enrolling students into the Student Information System manually or processes the online pre- registration; refers students to the Welcome Center and special education services; collects legal documents to maintain accurate data; assists families with activating ParentVUE system.
- Serves as the backup to the registrar and serves as the backup in the absence of the registrar or during high volume periods.
- Stays current on pupil accounting changes/requirements at the state and local level.
- Provides general office assistance to other school personnel.
Below are the qualifications for this position:
- High School diploma or GED required
- Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills
- Strong organization and interpersonal and decision-making skills
- Ability to make all families feel welcome in the school and the community
- Ability to work efficiently and ensure accurate data entry
- Exceptional customer support skills
- Demonstrate ability to ensure confidentiality, discretion and sensitivity to diverse family situations
- Ability to work in a very fast pace and ability to multitask is a must
- Knowledge of the Student Information System and the complexities of the many different reporting requirements
The following provides a brief description of physical requirements for this position:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly talking, expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. The employee must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly. The employee must possess normal cognitive abilities including the ability to learn, recall and apply certain practices and policies. Frequently sitting and/or remaining in a stationary position for long periods of time. Exerting up to 25 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
Classified Salary Scale , Level 11
The Loudoun County School Board seeks to cultivate a high performing team of professionals focused on its mission and goals. The School Board values merit and excellence within its workforce and encourages the highest levels of professionalism for all its employees.
The School Board also recognizes and values the diversity of the students and broader community it serves and encourages diversity within its workforce.
The Loudoun County School Board is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The School Board does not discriminate against qualified applicants or employees on the basis of actual or perceived race, national origin, ancestry, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, marital status, age, religion, disability, genetic information, veteran status or any basis protected by law.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Assistant Superintendent for Department of Human Resources and Talent Development
Loudoun County Public Schools
21000 Education Court
Ashburn, VA 20148