Senior Network Engineer will be responsible for network support while also assisting with overall network architecture and design. Senior Network Engineer will also be responsible for Tier II proactive support, maintenance and changes in both data center environments and customer facing network devices. Senior Network Engineer will work directly with other internal engineering departments and field support personnel to ensure that all customer expectations are being met at the highest possible level. This position has a set schedule, but is expected to execute complex network changes and provide escalation coverage as required.
Work closely with Network and Infrastructure teams across IT and the organization to support corporate, field and regional based environments. Interact regularly with vendors/contractors on special business projects
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
5+ years of network experience with Cisco routers and switches.
Intermediate level understanding and experience with routing and switching technologies.
Intermediate level understanding and experience with 802.1q, STP, RSTP, MSTP, VLAN, VXLAN
Intermediate level understanding and experience with routing protocols, specifically BGP, OSPF and EIGRP
Intermediate level understanding and experience with Palo Alto firewall and F5 load balancer technologies.
Intermediate level understanding and experience with IPSEC VPN/GRE tunnels.
Intermediate level understanding of wireless technologies
Excellent problem solving skills.
Strong understanding of troubleshooting techniques.
Exhibits mature organization and time management skills.
Excellent documentation, communication and interpersonal skills.
Experience with high availability environment with 99.99% SLA
Accomplishes task with minimal supervision.
Essential Functions, Duties, & Metrics
- Develop, document and maintain policies, processes and procedures for assigned area of expertise.
- Effectively plan and actively participate in meetings.
- Maintain proficiency and certification on existing and emerging technologies and skill-sets through self-study, industry publications.
- Manage assigned projects, milestones and risks within expected timeframes and budgets.
- Provide weekly updates on projects status, lingering issues and risks to manager.
Custom Solutions – Design and Architecture
- Work with senior level engineers to create highly available and scalable network connectivity solutions.
- Review and evaluate vendor hardware, software and technologies to provide resilient solutions.
Network Core Design and Architecture
- Evaluate, test, design and architect core networking infrastructure.
- Perform quarterly configuration review to validate the functionality of failover and redundant configuration on all shared/core networking devices.
- Create Visio diagram(s) and provide detailed design documentation on datacenter design, connectivity, disaster recovery and failover strategies.
Training and Triage
- Create training documents for other networking groups (NOC) as well as higher management on network architecture and design.
- Work towards advanced networking certifications (CCIE, CCNP, Palo Alto, F5, and Wireless)
- Assisting with writing command scripts for complex network changes.
- Peer review complex network changes.
- Execution of complex network changes.
- Pre and Post verification of all networking changes.
- Email change execution issues on networking devices to the Manager of Network Services.
- Understanding the technical aspects of the requested changes.
- Perform hardware and software upgrades of networking devices.
- Work directly with customers to validate, confirm and assess their application connectivity requirements after change execution.
- Attend the bi-weekly Change Advisory Board meeting.
Support and Incident Management
- Work with various internal groups and customers to troubleshoot issues, provide resolution(s) and implement solutions.
- Provide accurate root cause analysis and create customer facing RFO reports.
- Open trouble tickets with various networking vendors.
- Responsible for and accountable to follow support procedures.
- Work with vendors to identify root cause.
- Work directly with customers to validate, confirm and assess network connectivity requirements.
- Take escalation calls from Network Support, Network Implementation and Application Engineering groups.
- Partake on weekly on-call rotation schedule.
- Available outside of shift hours to answer questions related to work performed by the individual.
Audit and CRM Update
- Perform monthly audit of records against deployed infrastructure networking devices.
- Perform quarterly capacity management/audit of logical network resources such as VLAN and IP subnet utilization.
- Perform monthly configuration and device management audits on all networking devices within AN network.
- Performs monthly audit of monitoring system to ensure all networking devices are being monitored.
Capacity and Performance Management
- Perform monthly capacity management on network link and device utilization and generate top report identifying risks.
- Maximize availability and performance of shared network Infrastructure.
Configuration Standardization and Backup Management
- Ensure Solarwinds is backing up all networking devices.
- Adhere to industry standards best practice in configuration of devices
Authentication and Authorization System Management
- Maintain authentication and authorization system(s) for network devices.
- Provide account administration on the authentication and authorization system(s).
Security Advisories and Adherence to Security Policies
- Perform monthly vendor security advisory review and recommend remediation steps.
- Maintain technical relationships with network and security vendors to stay abreast of emerging technologies.
- Monitor Internet provider mailing lists for planned maintenance and outage notifications and relay to change management for customer notifications.
AutoNation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and drug-free workplace.