Posting Date Jun 06, 2018
Job Number 18001GAG
Job Category Sales and Marketing
Location Mid-Atlantic Sales Office, Gaithersburg, Maryland VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
Provides temporary sales support to various Group Sales teams within the sales office. Serves a utility function to account for staffing changes resulting from turnover, leaves of absence, or call volume/demand changes. Covers roles in opportunity managementor event planning as necessary. Handles customer inquiries and lead requests for groups within predefined parameters. Achieves outbound call, new account and opportunity generation goals of the Group Sales team, and assists customers with planning event needs for Select Service & Extended Stay properties. Drives customer loyalty by delivering service excellence throughout each customer experience.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED; 2 years experience in the sales and marketing, guest services, front desk, or related professional area.
- 2-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Marketing, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; no work experience required.
- 2 years experience selling group business, either at a property or in a sales office.
- Knowledge of property operations, Food and Beverage (F&B).
- Knowledge of the group sales process for all brands and how to close a sale.
- Team-based selling experience.
- Hospitality Management Degree.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Managing Sales Activities
- Responds in a timely manner to incoming group/catering opportunities that are within predefined parameters.
- Provides temporary sales support to various group sales teams within the sales office.
- Refers opportunities to appropriate sales associate if business is outside these parameters.
- Understands the overall market - competitors’ strengths and weaknesses, economic trends, supply and demand etc. and how to sell against them.
- Verifies that business booked is within hotel parameters.
- Closes the best opportunities for each property based on market conditions and individual property needs.
- Executes and supports the operational aspects of business booked (e.g., generating proposal, writing contract, customer correspondence).
- Transfers accurate, complete, and timely information to property in accordance with brand standards.
- Up-sells each business opportunity to maximize revenue for individual properties.
- Understands and utilizes company marketing initiative/incentives to close on business.
- Follows up on opportunities uncovered by Sales Executives.
- Implements process improvements and best practices.
- Leverages other Group Sales resources and administrative/support staff to achieve personal and team related revenue goals.
- Creates clear expectations for customers and properties throughout the sales process.
- Achieves outbound calling and monitors customer satisfaction.
- Solicits potential new accounts or business opportunities.
- Re-solicits non-managed realized opportunities.
- Presents market hotel benefits and features based on customer needs.
- Utilizes negotiation skills and creative selling abilities to uncover new business.
- Maintains complete and up-to-date lead information on each account using information systems (e.g., SFAWeb|CI/TY) to verify accurate reporting.
- Processes all leads and responds to customer inquiries in a timely manner.
- Qualifies and maintains customer’s long-term business potential and refers customers to market, field, property or national sales office, as required.
- Creates accurate and timely lead turnover to Area Sales and/or the Group Sales teams.
- Understands and utilizes company marketing initiative/incentives to convert cold leads to warm leads.
- Manages outbound lead merchandising along with associated booking fee.
- Solicits and processes all leads that come from non-deployed reader board accounts.
- Responds in a timely manner to all incoming business transient opportunities that are within predefined parameters.
- Qualifies each account for group, catering and extended stay potential and refer opportunities to appropriate sales channel for follow up.
- Works collaboratively with Revenue Management to analyze business needs, makes recommendations and establishes guidelines when appropriate to extend Business Travel (BT) rates.
- Manages group room blocks and meeting space, produces Banquet Event Orders, orders food, and actualizes groups.
- Turns over event to the on-property operations team for the execution of details.
- Up sell products and services throughout the pre-event phase.
- Serves a utility function to account for staffing changes resulting from turnover, leaves of absence, or call volume/demand changes.
- Covers roles in opportunity management, business development or event planning as necessary.
- Performs other duties, as assigned, to meet business needs.
Building Successful Relationships
- Works collaboratively with other sales channels (e.g., Area Sales, on-property resources) to establish coordinated sales efforts that are complementary and not duplicative.
- Drives customer loyalty through excellent customer service throughout the sales process.
- Serves the customer by understanding their needs and recommending appropriate features and services that best meet their needs.
- Builds and strengthens relationships with existing and new customers to enable future bookings.
- Builds and maintains strong working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Resolves guest issues that arise as a result of the sales process.
- Brings issues to the attention of property and Group Sales leadership team as appropriate.
- Builds and maintains rapport with customers throughout the sales process.
- Handles customer inquiries and lead requests for groups within predefined parameter; and refers customer care issues to the appropriate owner.Coordinates and communicates verbally and in writing with customer (e.g., internal and external) regarding event details.
- Follows up with customer post-event.
- Acts as liaison between the Group Sales person and customer throughout the event process (e.g., pre-event, event, post-event).
- Makes availability known to customer at all times during this process.
- Solves problems and/or suggest alternatives to previous arrangements.
- Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels. Responds to and handles guest problems and complaints, as appropriate.
- Emphasizes guest satisfaction and focuses on continuous improvement.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.