Full Job Description
United States Postal Service
External Publication for Job Posting 10453435
If this job requires qualification on an examination, the number of applicants who will be invited to take or retake the
examination may be limited.
Job Posting Period
07/31/2020 - 08/04/2020
DISTRIBUTED SYSTEMS SUPPORT SPEC
4200 WAKE FOREST RD
RALEIGH, NC 27668-9040
TITLE: DISTRIBUTED SYSTEMS SUPPORT SPEC
GRADE: EAS - 23
FLSA DESIGNATION: Exempt
OCCUPATION CODE: 2210-0277
NON-SCHEDULED DAYS: Saturday/Sunday
HOURS: 08:00 A.M. to 05:00 P.M.
SALARY RANGE: 80,300.00 - 98,650.00 USD Annually
FINANCE NUMBER: 364010
BENEFIT INFORMATION: The salary will be based on previous experience, salary history, and current postal pay policies.
We offer excellent benefits including health and life insurance, retirement plan, savings/investment plan with employer
contribution, flexible spending, flextime scheduling of core work hours, annual and sick leave.
The Inspection Service criminal background check is conducted using United States information resources only (e.g., FBI
fingerprint check, state and county checks). A criminal background check involves a 5-year inquiry for any location where
the individual has resided, worked or gone to school within the United States or its territories. As a result of this limitation,
the criminal background checks of individuals who have not resided in the United States or its territories for the preceding
5-years may not be considered complete. The Inspection Service may be able to process inquiries for U.S. Citizens only,
but only if their time spent out of the country was spent as: a trailing spouse or dependent of someone working for the U.S.
government (military or civilian), a missionary, a student attending school in a foreign country, a Peace Corps participant, or
as an employee of a U.S.-based employer/company. If the Inspection Service is unable to perform a complete background
check because of residency outside the United States, such individuals will be ineligible for Postal employment.
Oversees the support, development and implementation of large scale service-wide distributed systems applications and
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Serves as group leader over a team of support specialists for Tier 2 and Tier 3 software and hardware systems support,
utilizing incident and problem service management tools for resolution and tracking.
2. Coordinates with other technical employees engaged in the development and distribution of major computer systems and
applications supporting both the business and operational organizations of the Postal Service.
3. Observes methodologies used to integrate microcomputer systems which interact and extend across both organizational
and functional lines.
4. Identifies and documents processes and configurations that assist in the maintenance of microcomputer systems
hardware and software.
5. Maintains awareness and currency on state-of-the-art microcomputer systems technology for application in the Postal
6. Supports and follows Change Management policy (requests to create, modify or discontinue information systems).
7. Oversees project status and technical evaluations of systems and equipment.
8. Practices current technologies to remotely support users across the United States and other US territories.
9. Monitors standard Technology Solution Life Cycle (TSLC) processes and actively participates within Field Pilot process
for all application testing and deployments to the standard field distributed system workstations.
Manager of unit to which assigned.
The United States Postal Service has the following excellent and challenging employment opportunity for highly motivated
and innovative individuals. Successful candidates must demonstrate through a combination of education, training, and
experience the following requirements:
1. Ability to evaluate new vendor software and hardware, and develop recommendations for national deployment.
2. Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, to provide technical information on performance related issues in
3. Ability to assist in the development of policies and standards of operating systems, products, and applications in a
distributed computing environment.
4. Ability to remotely resolve complex software, hardware and file system issues occurring on a server, desktop or mobile
5. Knowledge of software repackaging tools and software distribution systems.
6. Ability to lead a technical support team in the timely resolution of complex computing problems.
7. Ability to create Visual Basic and/or PowerShell scripts as required for implementation and modification to resolve
computer related problems.
8. Knowledge of Active Directory infrastructure, design, interface capabilities and group policies.
9. Ability to maintain project plans and provide periodic or cyclical progress reporting.
**This position requires a NACI clearance. This process can take up to 6 weeks from the date the offer letter is returned**
This is a two-step application process requiring you to create a profile and submit an application for the position you are
You will receive two email confirmations:
1. An email confirming your profile is complete.
2. After submitting your application you will receive a second email confirming your application has been successfully
For information, please contact Chydea Faulkner at Talent@usps.gov.
Qualified applicants must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screening to meet the U.S. Postal Service's requirement
to be drug free. Applicants must also be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident alien status.
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m., Central Time, of the posting's closing date. Applicants claiming veterans'
preference must attach a copy of member copy 4 (only) of Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form
214) or other proof of eligibility if claiming 10-point veterans' preference. The United States Postal Service (USPS) is an
equal opportunity employer. The USPS provides reasonable accommodation for any part of the application, interview, and/or
selection process, please make your request to the examiner, selecting official or local manager of Human Resources. This
request can also be made by someone on your behalf. Explain the nature of your limitations and the accommodation
needed. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
SPECIAL NOTE: Current career Postal Service employees are ineligible to apply to this posting.