Job Summary: As a valued team member, the litigation paralegal will perform a variety of paralegal functions which require a significant degree of knowledge, decision-making skills, and independent judgment. Do you have strong communication and organizational skills? Do you love supporting groups through all phases of the litigation process? If you’re looking for a new opportunity where you can make an impact, then we would love to hear from you.
This is a full-time position, offering very competitive Bay Area salary and benefits.
The candidate will be asked to assist in the following tasks:
Essential Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Job-Related Competencies:
- Prepare pleadings and discovery documents for filing and service; prepare, send and track subpoenas; schedule depositions with multiple parties, including attorney, clients and court reporters; create pleadings/discovery binders; indexing and filing documents; organize and file case documents.
- Prepare and format pre-trial documents including motions, briefs, subpoenas and witness lists; gather and organize exhibits; create, organize and/or index trial binders; docket and track deadlines and send reminders to the legal team; cite-check and proofread briefs and legal documents; ensure that documents are properly formatted and in compliance with court rules; coordinate witnesses.
- Prepare and format trial documents; coordinate the preparation of charts, graphs, and other courtroom visuals; schedule couriers, court reporters and expert witnesses; organize, file and manage documents, exhibits and trial binders; coordinate travel arrangements for attorneys, witnesses, clients and others.
- Transcribe dictation and format text, data and graphics; docket and track case deadlines; correspond with clients, witnesses and opposing counsel; answer the phone; create spreadsheets to track costs, exhibits and other information; enter time for attorneys into computerized timekeeping system; maintain docket systems; route correspondence, reports and legal documents; organize client conferences and attorney meetings; prepare expense reports; maintain attorneys’ calendars by planning and scheduling conferences, teleconferences, depositions and travel; prepare and submit conflicts check forms and new matter request forms; maintain confidential client files.
- Assist with special projects and cooperate as a team member with other support staff in performing any duties essential to the achievement of efficient operations.
- Perform other duties not mentioned above.
- Exceptional litigation skills, strong knowledge of litigation and trial procedures including Federal and State Court procedures and rules, State and Federal e-filing experience required.
- Must have experience with calendaring.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products, including Word, Excel 2016, Adobe Acrobat, CompuLaw, PACER and EFS. Accurate typing skills of at least 50 wpm.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, organizational skills and attention to detail as well as a strong and professional work ethic.
- Ability to set priorities and exercise independent judgment and initiative, to communicate effectively with all levels of personnel and to manage multiple tasks at one time and perform well in stressful situations.
- Ability to use good judgment in solving problems and resolving conflicts along with strong customer service focus and skills.
- Flexibility with schedule (overtime may be required) and excellent attendance.
- Five or more years of law firm experience as a secretary in the trial or litigation practice group.
- Bachelor’s degree
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 408.961.2980 to apply for this opportunity or hear about similar positions throughout the Peninsula and South Bay.
The hiring firm is an equal opportunity employer, and will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.