Full Job Description
Isaacson, Miller (IM), a national retained executive search firm specializing in leadership recruitment in the civic sector, seeks to hire associates to aid in the growth of our Boston, Philadelphia, San Francisco and Washington, DC offices. These are exciting opportunities for talented individuals who share our dedication to the success of mission-driven organizations, who are drawn to the intellectual demands and professional pace of management consulting, and who wish to have an impact on the caliber and diversity of leadership in organizations that advance the common good.
Our belief in the power of exceptional leadership and an unwavering commitment to service excellence, integrity, and impact animate our firm. We enjoy a nearly 80% returning-client rate and complete more than 300 search assignments each year across the fields of higher education, healthcare, arts and culture, preK-12 education, associations, and foundations, as well as a range of advocacy organizations. We identify and recruit exceptional candidates from a broad range of backgrounds across the nonprofit, corporate, and government sectors, and contribute to increasingly diverse leadership in our client organizations. More than 55% of our placements are women and/or people of color. Learn more about our recently completed searches at www.imsearch.com/results.
IM has achieved an excellent growth trajectory and is consistently ranked among the 20 largest executive search firms in the United States. We have more than 200 employees nationwide.
We pride ourselves on a generous, caring, and transparent culture and actively support the career development of our team members. Our commitment to the principles and practices of diversity, equity, and inclusion was a founding impulse of the firm. Today, we continue to advance that mission with our clients and foster a diverse, fair, and welcoming workplace, drawing upon our individual voices, perspectives, experiences, and knowledge to strengthen our collective understanding and achievement.
THE ASSOCIATE ROLE
Associates are talent recruiters, relationship builders, and project managers. They support the project work of Partners who build client relationships, develop business, and ensure the successful and high-quality completion of each search.
Over time, Associates undertake additional responsibility and have the opportunity to progress in the firm and build their own search practices. As Associates continue to expand and build their competencies, breadth of experience, and level of independence, they can progress to the Senior and Managing Associate levels.
Associates carry several search projects simultaneously, each on its own timeline, and are involved in all stages of the search process. They collaborate with the Partner in developing and executing research and networking strategies, recruiting and screening candidates, conducting candidate references, managing due diligence, overseeing timeframes, and preparing for and participating in client presentations.
Senior Associates have more independent client contact and assume greater responsibility for client and candidate management than Associates. Senior Associates may conduct in-person candidate interviews and have standing to address candidate and client questions and concerns independently throughout the search process. Managing Associates have acquired all search execution skills and effectively manage a search project from start to finish. As they develop a reputation in the market, Managing Associates begin to develop the foundation of a search practice, preparing for the next step to Partner.
Key Associate responsibilities include:
- Scoping the position with the client through initial site visits with the Partner to gather essential information, including the nature of the role, the challenges facing the organization, and the client’s ambitions for moving the organization forward. Following the visit, an Associate is generally expected to write, edit, and proofread much of the first draft of the position description.
- Developing a deep and diverse pool of candidates through thorough, accurate, and persuasive phone and email communications with sources and potential candidates, supported by the use of IM’s proprietary database. In concert with the Partner, an Associate is expected to develop and implement networking strategies for each search, remaining flexible in their approach to ensure appropriate responses to client and market feedback.
- Evaluating potential candidates with respect to their organization, industry, and the needs of a particular client. Associates evaluate candidate credentials, and credibility, both on paper and through in-depth phone interviews. Senior Associates may also conduct longer in-person and/or video interviews with candidates.
- Maintaining positive relationships with clients and candidates. Every individual with whom we connect is a potential candidate, source, client, or combination of the three. Because an Associate’s role is heavily oriented toward networking and recruiting, they are often an individual’s first point of contact with IM. Associates must ensure a positive first impression through courteous and timely correspondence and follow-through. Associates maintain contact with candidates throughout a search, keeping them informed and engaged. In addition, Senior Associates often serve as a point of contact for the client, responding to requests and providing updates.
- Presenting the pool to the client via in-person and virtual meetings. In consultation with the Partner, the Associate drafts memos and other supplemental materials and is responsible for the accuracy, clarity, and consistency of materials presented.
- Managing the flow of knowledge obtained during a search regarding candidates, sources, and clients by regularly updating the firm’s database. In addition, Associates must routinely brief Partners on the overall progress of a search, market feedback, and individual candidate situations. In concert with Search Coordinators, Associates also oversee the flow of candidate information to the client.
IM seeks Associate candidates who are drawn to our firm’s mission of strengthening and diversifying leadership in the civic sector. An investment in the success and integrity of the firm as a whole is essential, as is a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and the cultural competence to work effectively across multiple lines of difference.
Candidates for the Associate position will possess a Bachelor’s degree, 2-8 years of progressively responsible professional experience, and many of the following experiences and attributes:
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Maturity and discretion in maintaining strong relationships with multiple constituencies, often involving issues of confidentiality
- The ability to build rapport with people at all levels of an organization
Judgment and Knowledge
- The capacity to extract and persuasively articulate the ambitions of and challenges facing client organizations
- The ability to evaluate the accomplishments, credibility, and organizational fit of prospective candidates using evidence-based assessment
Organization and Project Management
- The ability to take initiative and work independently, combined with knowing when to ask for guidance
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to juggle competing priorities
- Conscientiousness in producing high quality work and attending to detail
- A collegial and collaborative nature, and the inclination to learn from and offer assistance to colleagues
- Intellectual curiosity and a commitment to continuous learning and professional development
- Honesty, openness, and a healthy sense of humor
Candidates for the Senior Associate position must meet the qualifications for the Associate role, possess nine or more years of progressively responsible professional experience, and bring many of the following experiences and attributes:
- Client and candidate management skills, and a track record of building trust with external constituents
- Exceptional presentation skills and public speaking experience to a wide range of audiences
Judgment and Knowledge
- Sound judgment when faced with client or candidate concerns that have ethical implications
- Superb analytical skills and the ability to present probing, insightful questions to clients and candidates
- The ability to develop and execute a search strategy with limited Partner support
Organization and Project Management
- Experience undertaking, managing, and completing simultaneous projects with limited supervision
- A track record of success delivering results in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Experience leading teams in a highly-matrixed environment
- The ability to effectively manage up to senior leaders with varying preferences and styles
- A track record of investment in the professional development of colleagues across levels and functions