- Do you have a keen eye for graphic design?
- Were you built for a fast-paced work environment?
- Are you a creative, conceptual thinking excelling in web design and print media?
- This position may be just for you!
We are the American Retirement Association, one of the fastest growing associations in the U.S., with a rich diversity of perspectives, backgrounds and ideas. And, we seek a graphic designer to join our team.
The graphic designer will be a creative and conceptual thinker who develops graphics that convey the overall look and feel for the association’s products and services. The graphic designer will excel in both web design and print, and will develop association collateral and promotional materials, including but not limited to advertising, displays, logos, presentations, brochures, signage and website graphics. Drupal and WordPress experience preferred.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Prepare graphic design work by participating in a creative kickoff with the director of marketing strategy, copywriter, internal client(s) and additional staff members; discussing the requested work with the director of marketing strategy; gathering information and materials (working with the copywriter or other staff members) to conceptualize the brand/campaign; illustrating the concept by designing a layout with art and copy; submitting the concept layout to the director for approval; and, once approved, incorporating the layout into the desired medium, which may include print collateral, infographics, email graphics, banner ads, landing pages and websites.
- Design and maintain webpages that support the association’s strategies, goals and online presence using established design standards. Develop and conduct usability testing, evaluation and monitoring processes that produce user-interface design, features, flow and navigation that reflect user preferences and enhance usability and traffic. Design new features, site animation and other elements that contribute to a compelling design.
- Present a varied portfolio of design solutions that offer clear and convincing visuals.
- Actualize clients’ creative business needs and ideas, while maintaining excellent project management skills, and adapting quickly to changing priorities and the demands of multiple projects.
- Complete projects by coordinating with staff members in other departments, and external partners including agencies, art services, printers, photographers and illustrators.
- Maintain technical knowledge in graphic design and emerging trends.
Ideal candidates will have:
- 3–5 years of progressive graphic design experience
- in-depth knowledge of graphic design principles and practices, including the interactive production process and user experience design, graphics and optimization, webpage production, programming, typography, and proofreading
- a deep knowledge of different browser platforms, web technologies and tools
- strong skills in, or a willingness to learn, Drupal and WordPress
- a bachelor's degree, preferably in graphic design or visual communications
- superior interpersonal and communication skills, and professional demeanor
- ability to analyze problems, develop a problem-solving path and manage the process to completion
- capacity to make decisions, and communicate those decisions with tact and professionalism
- strong multitasking skills and ability to maintain multiple, often conflicting, priorities
- effective project management, planning and organization skills
- ability to work autonomously with initiative
The American Retirement Association is based in Arlington, Virginia within a fresh, energetic working environment. We offer a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package (including Health, Dental, Disability and 401(k)), a collaborative environment and the opportunity to be a part of a professional team.
Got what it takes? If you seek to join a dynamic, non-profit association with a great working environment rush your resume, cover letter, salary requirements (avoiding the term "negotiable") and portfolio by using the application tool on this site. No phone inquiries. We look forward to hearing from you!
The American Retirement Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type: Full-time
- Graphic Design: 2 years (Required)
- Drupal: 1 year (Preferred)
- Adobe Creative Suite: 2 years (Required)
- Arlington, VA 22203 (Preferred)