Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
The Upward Bound identifies and assists individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds who have the potential to succeed in higher education. The program provides academic, career and financials advising to students; encourages them to graduate from high school and continue their post-secondary education. The program operates an academic and summer component. Provides after school enrichment program, college and career tours.
The mathematics instructor is responsible for developing the program mathematics curriculum for students in grades 9th & 10th. The focus will be to administer diagnostic tests to identify for mastery. Ability to prepare students for math test preparation.
Available to work Saturdays 8:00AM to 3:00PM
- Provide supplemental math instructions in courses such as Algebra 1, Pre-calculus, calculus and statistics
- Assess student’s mathematics skill level and implement improvement plan that will ensure mastery of deficient skills
- Teach mathematics test preparation sessions for students taking PSAT/SAT/ACT/ Smarter Balance tests
- Refer students to online resources to assist with skills improvement
- Evaluate and document students’ progress
- Bachelor of Arts Degree or Related Field
Special Skills Required to Perform this Position:
- 2 years teaching experience with high school students
- Available to work Saturdays 8:00AM to 3:00PM
- Tutor students in Mathematics
Preferred Skills for this Position:
- Knowledge of State of California CAASSP Test Program.
- Motivate and encourage students to pursue careers in STEM
- Teaching credential preferred, or CBEST Test completion
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.