The Jewish Institute for National Security of America (JINSA), a non-profit, non-partisan policy organization focused on strengthening U.S. national security and the U.S.-Israel security relationship, seeks an experienced and mission driven individual to join our team as Press Secretary.
This is a full-time position with excellent benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Foster relationships and promote events conducive to increasing ties between JINSA and reporters covering: foreign policy and relevant national security affairs; technology and military issues; news and opinion editors; columnists at national newspapers; television producers and bookers; influential bloggers; and podcast and radio talk show hosts and producers.
- Working with the leadership team, develop a comprehensive media strategy.
- Edit and place op-eds by JINSA experts in relevant media outlets.
- Develop talking points, press background briefing material, and op-eds in conjunction with policy staff and organizational experts/leadership.
- Promote to the media the organization’s news and policy-oriented conference calls, webinars, events, etc.
- Institutionalize “rapid response” culture and protocol to ensure that JINSA is sharing expertise with reporters before their pieces are filed, helping to ensure JINSA analyses are featured in the news cycle.
- Oversee production of media email product that provides the day’s top stories accompanied by JINSA experts available to provide analysis.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive press list;
- Identify “talent” within the organization and develop a media training program to prepare JINSA experts for today’s media environment;
- Work with JINSA experts to develop online profiles and social media presence;
- Arrange television and radio interviews for JINSA experts on topics related to JINSA’s mission.
- 2-5 years of experience with communications issues at a think tank, the legislative or executive branches of government, a public affairs agency, political campaign, trade association, or corporation
- Bachelor’s degree (minimum) in communications, journalism, political science, or related fields
- Strong interest in U.S. military and national security issues, including issues related to Israel and the Middle East
- Relationships with key journalists or reporters at relevant print, television, and radio outlets.
- Strong writing and editing skills, high attention to detail, and strong organizational skills, including timeliness and accuracy
- Ability to synthesize complex policy issues for the media
- Ability to cope with stressful situations, schedules and deadlines.
- Self-starter who is comfortable working alone or collaboratively with a team.
Location: Washington, D.C.
To Apply: Email cover letter, resume, and relevant writing sample to JINSA Vice President of Policy Blaise Misztal at Bmisztal@jinsa.org. Absolutely no phone calls, please.