Rowan Technology is looking to add a talented and agile Software Developer to our growing team that builds innovative digital learning products. This hybrid position could is based out of our NYC office, though we will consider remote for the right candidates.
A NYC-based digital publisher and interactive technology company, Rowan has recently expanded their operations to include full-scale academic publishing and will soon rebrand as the West Point Press. As such, with tens-of-thousands of existing users - across many universities and the general public - the reach of Rowan’s digital publishing is extensive and well-regarded, and this audience is actively expanding.
This role would lead the software development efforts of this new organization, focusing on the growing digital publishing operations inherited from Rowan. This includes the maintenance and improvement of: (1) a proprietary, cross-platform ebook distribution and reading app, (2) a complex ebook building app, and (3) an admin and ecommerce backend to support the former.
As such, primary responsibilities include the development and implementation of cloud-based applications; feature development and system improvement; refactoring; error monitoring and bug fixes; code review; system architecture development/improvements; security updates/improvements; and system scaling for additional users. Secondary responsibilities include support for front end development.
Because this role oversees substantial technology stack for a large and growing audience, the position is ideal for someone who is knowledgeable and competent in required frameworks, has full stack experience from system architecture to front end frameworks, can handle problems independently, and wants both agency (in their work) and impact (for a large audience). The developer will join a small, interdisciplinary team experienced in design, software development, publishing, cartography, and marketing.
Candidates should have at least 2 years of professional experience working with cloud-based web applications. Any applicants who do have experience in required frameworks will not be considered. Management or leadership experience is preferable. Remote candidates will be considered, though candidates local to our offices (New York, NY) are preferred. Candidates must be eligible to work in the US (Citizens or Green Card holders), as we cannot sponsor visas.
- BS/BA in Computer Science preferred. Coding bootcamp, or equivalent, will also be considered when coupled with work experience.
- Rigorous attention to detail with an ability to move from big-picture to details with ease and composure.
- Understanding of nth order consequences of development decisions.
- Extensive knowledge of third party libraries and software that can be integrated reliably and efficiently.
- Ability to liaise with a network of peers for best practices, ideation, and problem-solving.
- Strong oral and written communication with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Self-directed and results-oriented, demonstrating initiative and follow-through and ability to adapt to changing circumstances.
Proficiency is required in the followingtechnologies:
- AWS Services
Proficiency is a plus in a following:
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $110,000.00 - $140,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Are you a US Citizen? Due to the nature of our federal funding, this is an absolute requirement.
- React: 1 year (Preferred)
- TypeScript: 1 year (Preferred)
- Ruby/Rails: 1 year (Preferred)
- Angular: 1 year (Preferred)
- Node.js: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in New York, NY 10011