The Montgomery County Department of Parks, Horticulture, Forestry and Environmental Education Division, is currently seeking Seasonal/Intermittent applicants to fill a position in Locust Grove Nature Center.
Seasonal Park Naturalist at Locust Grove Nature Center
Candidate will provide interpretive and educational programs in natural history to various groups such as schools, scouts, general public and summer youth campers. Conducts research in various subject matters and upon approval of senior naturalist staff will present the program with the use of various naturalist props. Respond to visitor, telephone, and staff inquiries concerning natural history and conservation matters. Greets visitors, provides interpretive program information, promotes positive public relations for the nature center programs and encourages public appreciation for the natural environment. Experience working with and care of captive live animals (reptiles, invertebrates) preferred. This is a part time (4-20 hours/week), year-round position requiring scheduled weekday, evening, and weekend work.
Requirements of the seasonal park naturalist:
- BA/BS in education or science earned or in progress
- Experience working with and teaching children.
- Experience in creating and conducting environmental education lessons
- Maryland natural history knowledge
- Willingness to work outside
- Superior communication skills; outgoing and friendly
- Organizational ability and excellent work ethic
- Team player, positive attitude
- CPR/First Aid certification
- FBI and MD Background check
- Valid driver's license
- At least 21 years of age
Six years of experience and specialized education and training in skill area or college graduate with two years of teaching experience in specific skill area; applicant must possess appropriate certifications when applicable to position vacancy.
Certification in Interpretation or Environmental Education preferred
Teaching Certification preferred (preschool or school age)
Maryland Master Naturalist Certification preferred
A criminal background investigation will be completed prior to hire.