Ascend Learning; LLC (www.ascendlearning.com) is a leading provider of technology-based educational, curriculum and assessment solutions for high-growth careers in a range of industries, including healthcare, fitness and wellness, and insurance and financial services. We provide outcomes-based solutions aimed at helping people enter, sustain and succeed in their chosen fields. Ascend employs more than 1,000 employees, with headquarters in Burlington, Mass., and offices in Kansas City metro, Phoenix metro, Minneapolis, St. Paul, Walnut Creek, California, Ann Arbor, Michigan, New York and the U.K.
Ascend Learning is hiring an Analytics DBA to join the team in Leawood, Kansas.
The Analytics DBA is responsible for the design, implementation and support of the company’s database systems. This position is highly technical in nature, requires excellent technical skills in a variety of competencies, and the ability to learn and adopt new technologies. The incumbent works with a team responsible for supporting our 24x7 database infrastructure.
Education and Experience
- Expert technical experience of MS SQL (TSQL) and the MS BI stack (SSRS, SSIS, SSAS)
- Experience as a Database Architect focusing on large scale, complex, transformational solutions at Ascend Learning
- Knowledge and experience of multiple technologies and their business application
- Create and establish working partnerships with various technology, business groups, and Application Development and Engineering teams across the enterprise.
- Ability and Expertise to guide / author a technology strategy
- Experience delivering BI Architecture, reporting, database etc.
- Experience with leading database and application monitoring tools.
- Ability to perform database and SQL performance analysis and making tuning changes.
- Maintains database performance by identifying and resolving production and application development problems; calculating optimum values for parameters; evaluating, integrating, and installing new releases; completing maintenance; answering user questions from various teams at Ascend
- Technical solution design and documentation at the product level
- Support implementation of software with database development
- Develops database solutions by designing proposed system; defining database physical structure and functional capabilities, security, backup, and recovery specifications
- Database planning
- Database monitoring using modern tools like SolarWinds etc.
- Create, Manage and maintain internal development, testing (QA) and production databases
- Collaborate with engineers, testers and staff
- Participate in Load and Performance Tests and Analyze bottlenecks and performance issues
- Rapidly diagnose and fix problems in production which involves reverse engineering and root cause analysis utilizing existing tools and resources
- Creating new solutions patterns within the SQL database and stored procedure code
- Strong communication, requirements gathering and business analysis experience
- Communicate or Articulate technology to customers in a compelling manner in speech, writing and formal presentation.
- Strong knowledge on 2012, 2014 and 2016 with AG.
- Experience working on an IaaS or PaaS DB solution in the cloud.
- Good knowledge of cloud concepts, cloud infrastructure and related technologies.
- Well versed with Azure and IaaS and PaaS deployments.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent
- At least 10 years of technical experience which includes Technology Operations and Service Delivery experience
- Experience in MS SQL stored procedure & query QA, Clustering & HA, modern Data Analytics techniques.
- Subject Matter Expert and Hand On in MSBI SSRS, SSIS & SSAS and ability to interact and engage with various application teams to determine a solution in a fast paced and challenging environment in Ascend Learning
- Experience in Performance Tuning, Query Optimization, using Performance Monitor, SQL Profiler and other related monitoring and troubleshooting tools
- Experience in troubleshooting and resolving database integrity, performance issues, blocking and deadlocking, replication, connectivity, security issues etc.
Ascend Learning, LLC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (M/F/Vets/Disabled). No agency or search firm submissions will be accepted. Applications for U.S. based positions with Ascend Learning, LLC must be legally authorized to work in the United States and verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire.