The Senior Design Engineer at Bastian Robotics is a role that performs all the duties of a design/mechanical engineer at a SR level. A Senior Design Engineer acts as a mentor to the newer and/or less experienced engineers. A Senior Design Engineer advises the Lead Mechanical Engineer and/or the Engineering Manager in mechanical design and analysis issues such as processes, designs, and material selection with regards to automation. This generally involves designing, simulating, manufacturing, installing, and testing, and documenting a mechanical automation with assistance as needed from other engineering departments for electrical control.
A Senior Design Engineer works with and influences other Bastian Robotics employees, customers and suppliers to utilize the latest technologies while designing standard and custom equipment into material handling systems for complex applications. This includes R&D and prototype development to successfully bring new products to market. The process involves understanding the customer's goals and objectives and developing smart engineered solutions to meet these goals. Technologies used in this position include high level automation, 2D and 3D machine vision, optical devices, specialty conveyors, robotics, end of arm tooling, 3D modeling, and simulation. The Senior Design Engineer is responsible for multiple projects and will be capable of concepting, research, sales and applications support, estimating, component and material selection, design for manufacturing/assembly, shop support, system layouts, and service support.
The Senior Design Engineer helps our company meet its mission to help our customers compete in their markets by providing the best robotic material handling system solutions and technology and mentoring others to do the same.
General Job Duties
- Research new components and materials and provide recommendations for adoption into standards
- Ensure projects are executed in an effective manner in regard to time, cost and function
- Work with Controls & Robotics Engineering to provide robust system designs from concept to detailed fabrication drawings of individual components
- Create BOM and releases for designs and develop the equipment manual towards project completion
- Clear communication with both management and the shop personnel
- Develop and implement standard practices to ensure quality improvement and cost reduction
- Work well with others on the Bastian Robotics Team. Have fun!
- Solve technical problems either individually or though collaboration
- End of Arm Tooling development and prototype construction
- Provide technical Support for applications, sales and marketing when necessary
- Conduct full scope of mechanical project services as outlined in the overview above.
- Create Functional Specifications
- Deliver successful design projects with regards to customer satisfaction, schedule, time, and budget.
- Communicate with other Bastian Robotics team members effectively. Check and use voice mail / e-mail diligently. Maintain the team relationship.
- Attend training and become certified in applicable technologies or programs.
- Communicate strategic information regarding suppliers, customers and competition.
- Support the Systems Checklist for systems projects.
- Develop new techniques or equipment that will help maintain Bastian Robotics as a leader in our industry.
- Complete all administrative tasks/paperwork in timely manner
- Track time spent by project and enter into time tracking software
- Develop and lead training sessions for other engineers, technicians, and project managers.
Superior Performance Objectives
- Ensure projects are executed in the most effective manner in regard to time, cost (budget) and function
- Help our customers to be successful in their specific markets.
- Deliver projects that meet or exceed customer's expectations.
- Work with Mechanical Lead and/or Engineering Manager to provide robust configurable standard equipment designs and help lead these efforts
- Deliver projects under budgeted time and hours.
- Meet project schedule.
- Develop repeat customers.
- Develop and implement quality improvement or cost reduction initiatives
- Contribute to project teams, providing help outside of mechanical scope when required.
- Be a great team member and contributor within the office.
- Establish beneficial relationships with our key supplier products and services.
- Develop new implementation techniques or equipment that will help maintain Bastian Robotics as a leader in our industry.
- Excellent problem solving and time management skills
- Master SolidWorks and AutoCAD and act as a mentor for all Mechanical Engineers.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering. 4+ years' experience preferred
- 1+ year as a Mechanical Engineer as an employee of Bastian or 10+ years industry experience
- Experience in designing material handling systems
- Aptitude for mechanical troubleshooting
- Hands on and supervisory experience of automated equipment assembly, electro-mechanical equipment and mechanical design of prototypes and standard products is required.
- 2D and 3D CAD experience (SolidWorks, AutoCAD, etc) required
- Extremely computer literate with MS Office products
- Experience in design for Manufacturing & Assembly with ability to produce fabrication/welding/assembly drawings from 3D models efficiently
- Strong technical drawing skills, especially in 3D modeling
- Able to work well in teams with good communication skills
- Able to meet deadlines
- Able to handle multiple projects
- Effective communication skills
- Excellent at Multi-Tasking
- Enjoys fast paced environment
- Able to travel (on a limited basis) depending on project demands
- Natural leader
Bastian Solutions, a Toyota Advanced Logistics company, is an independent material handling and robotics system integrator providing automated solutions for distribution, manufacturing, and order fulfillment centers around the world. Our team specializes in consulting, system design, project management, maintenance, and installation, while sourcing the best equipment and automation technology. We take great pride in providing exceptional service and flexibility to our customers.
In addition to exciting work at a growing company, we offer the following benefits:
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with a company match
- Vacation/Holiday Pay
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Flexible Work Schedules
- Volunteer Work
- Professional Associations, Conferences and Subscriptions
- Company Meetings & Events
Bastian Solutions does not work outside recruiting agencies. No solicitation phone calls please.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled