About the Position
FiscalNote is looking for an experienced Software Engineer to join our Data Engineering team. You will help scale and improve the core of our data processing capabilities by designing, building, and supporting services for collecting, ingesting, augmenting, and maintaining one of the largest collections of unstructured and structured data relating to policy, policymakers, and governments across countries and levels of government. You will have the colossal task of making a diverse, large, and growing dataset of documents accessible and actionable. Our data backend interfaces with sources that are frequently brittle and obsolete to provide reliable, timely, and accurate information - at scale. You will design systems that integrate and work closely with partners in applications and data science to provide our customers with an unprecedented level of automated analysis.
Looking to build something worth being proud of. Ready to take on ambitious projects that stretch the limits of your abilities, you enjoy the process of collaborating with team members to overcome technical challenges. You see projects through to the end and ensure that the best decisions for the team, not necessarily your ideas, are what take precedence. Along the way, you’re capable of communicating what you’re thinking to both technical and non-technical audiences, taking in others’ ideas as well as expressing your own. You delight in finding ways to use your strengths for maximum impact. You’re guided equally by your own intuition and delivering the best results to the customer. You’re comfortable around ambiguity with a high degree of autonomy, and are excited about solving complex, open-ended problems by distilling the complexity as simply as necessary to build solutions that work.
- Design, communicate, and lead development of solutions to complex problems
- Bring out the best in your coworkers
- Evaluate technical choices and their tradeoffs
- Write clean, robust, and maintainable code
- See projects through to the end and ensure best decisions for the team, not necessarily your ideas, are what take precedence
- Identify opportunities to improve our codebase
- Build data services for batch and real-time data processing
- Enhance data pipeline health and quality monitoring
- Create tooling for data review and augmentation
- Strong technical expertise in Python
- Working knowledge of git and AWS
- SQL experience is required and nice to have ElasticSearch experience
- Knowledge or experience working with CI/CD pipeline and containers ( Docker preferred)
- Experience working in iterative development environment
- Experience designing data models to support product features in a scalable way
- Strong understanding of effective software development practices
- Ability to lead and guide junior developers within the team
- Familiarity with dependency injection and asynchronous programming a plus
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Data Analysis or other related discipline required
FiscalNote is a technology-powered global software data and media company that uses powerful machine learning to provide clients with the right policy information and insights, and at the right time so that they can better navigate market risk and uncertainty and maximize new opportunities.
As the premier hub of domestic and global information for more than 5,000 clients worldwide, FiscalNote’s tools, analysis, news, and award-winning journalism delivers context, clarity, and a competitive edge in a rapidly changing world.
If your background and experience align with the competencies above, we encourage you to apply so that we can review your experience and learn more about how you can add to FiscalNote’s growth and success.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so we want you to play hard; our open vacation policy and vacation expense contribution help us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.