This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Cleans and sanitizes assigned areas, including such duties as mopping, dusting, and trash removal. May complete duties related to window washing, meeting set up, pool cleaning, snow removal, grounds keeping, and other related responsibilities.
1. Ensures Y is attractive and clean by completing all duties listed on the daily schedule and maintains upkeep of assigned area and equipment. May perform wet and dust mopping, dusting, trash removal, recycling, window washing, pool cleaning, painting, vacuuming, seasonal activities dealing with lawn care and snow removal, and general cleaning.
2. Operates related motorized and non-motorized equipment.
3. Records and reports all needed repairs; repairs as directed.
4. Ensures YMCA building and property is secure during shift and report incidents and hazardous conditions to supervisor.
5. Replaces soap, paper towels, and other supplies.
6. May set up furniture for events.
7. Performs other duties as assigned.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to
another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an
openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
1. Six months or more of related experience preferred.
2. Ability to read and interpret instructions, procedures, manuals, and other documents.
3. Ability to report and record maintenance requests.
4. Knowledge of cleaning methods and equipment.
5. Basic understanding of the upkeep and care of equipment.
6. Understanding of cleaning compounds and chemicals, and their safe, efficient use.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sufficient physical strength and agility to carry out essential duties.
- Ability to erect and stand on ladders and platforms at heights up to 30 feet.
- Ability to work with paint, cleaning equipment, chemical compounds, solvents, cleaners, and solutions in dry, liquid, powder, spray, and aerosol forms.
- Ability to paint, clean equipment, and operate motorized equipment as needed.
- Ability to work in conditions that will create dirt and dust.
- Ability to perform essential maintenance to facility or equipment which may involve, but not limited to the following activities: semi – reaching to full-reach overhead; crouching; kneeling; shoveling; carrying, working in narrow and/or confining spaces: underground, overhead, and at ground level; twisting of the waist, shoulders, and legs; and lying on stomach and/or back.