Rocksbox is a venture-backed, fast-growing jewelry eCommerce business. Our vision is to build the destination retail brand for jewelry and accessories. We leverage technology and data to deliver a personalized shopping experience and products that our customers love. We believe in building a healthy business for the long term, so we are metrics driven, with strong unit economics. At Rocksbox our mission is to build a brand that inspires others to live life to the fullest. We are passionate about the evolution of retail and about building experiences that our customers love.
Rocksbox is looking for a hands-on financial leader, strategist and manager to join our executive team. As VP of Finance you will report directly to the CEO and be responsible for all aspects of finance and accounting, including financial strategy, accounting, financial planning and budgeting, capital strategy, financial infrastructure, investor management, and board communications. Business Analytics and HR teams will also report into you.
In this role you will:
- Build and lead high performing finance team. Develop strengths and ownership on your team, empowering your team to grow and to drive impact for themselves and the company.
- Oversee accurate financial accounting, reporting, taxes and compliance.
- Manage accounting team (currently outsourced) to complete monthly financials.
- Manage all tax reporting. Responsible for completion of the annual income tax return working with external firm in order to ensure timely filing.
- Develop strategy and build system to support recent changes in ecommerce tax law.
- Support financial planning and budgeting.
- Develop and support internal planning and budgeting process, working across all functional areas of the business, including merchandising, marketing, operations and engineering.
- Develop tools, processes and communication touch-points to support transparency and empower smart and quick decisions across and within the team
- Shape company strategy.
- Work closely with the CEO and leadership team on ongoing basis to evolve our overall strategy and evaluate risks and strategic scenarios, providing knowledge of financials drivers, risks, sensitivities, trade-offs and opportunities.
- Develop long term capital strategy for the business, leveraging existing and new financial partners to make smart and strategic capital decisions as we scale.
- Scale finance infrastructure.
- Scale financial infrastructure, including systems, tools, and processes. Will need to oversee moving to new finance system as the company grows.
- Own relationship with Stripe, Recurly, and other payment partners.
- Investor relations and corporate governance.
- Support investor and stakeholder communications, including investor reporting, Board communications and cap table management.
- Oversee Business Analytics team, responsible for providing analytics support across all functional areas of the business.
- Oversee HR function, including all aspects of payroll, benefits, 401K, culture and team.
- You demonstrate VP qualities, including:
- Thought leader. You think strategically, you are impact and data oriented. You are an effective listener and communicator. You enjoy developing ideas through thoughtful discussion and pushing thinking forward as a team.
- Effective people developer. You value investing in your team, developing career paths, creating growth opportunities, providing regular feedback as a coach and partner to your team members.
- You are both strategic and detail oriented. You can see the full picture, understand opportunities and risks, and you develop strategic roadmap with that in mind. You can turn that strategy into action plan to develop results. You are willing to be hands-on when needed.
- You are results driven. You and your team are focused on high impact areas, you are organized, effective, efficient and strive for results.
- You are an excellent communicator, including written, oral and presentation skills. Able to communicate and present information in a clear way to a diverse audience.
- You have a high degree of ownership and integrity.
- You have 10+ years hands-on finance experience, including finance leadership role in fast growing start-up, including:
- Deep understanding GAAP and overall accounting principles, FP&A, budgeting, financial modeling, financial reporting.
- Excellent financial and analytical skills, financial modeling and excel.
- Experience shaping financial infrastructure (systems, processes).
- Experience in ecommerce and/or subscription business models is a plus.
- Undergraduate degree; C.P.A., M.B.A. or master's degree in finance preferred.