Have an internship that will take you further than a foot in the door. Get real client experience, strengthen your networks and earn performance-based income helping others live better.
For the past 50 years, more than 52,000 college students have participated in our internship program. 98% of them reported that the program was instrumental or very helpful to their future careers —whether in the financial services industry, sales or other business endeavor.
For 24 years Northwestern Mutual has ranked among the Top 100 internships nationally among all industries and non-profits. In 2020 it ranks as one of the Top 10 internships in the Financial Services industry, and a Top 10 internship for career development.
Daily Responsibilities Include:
- Attendance in group training and coaching sessions, conducted by mentors and industry specialists
- Learning and applying the basics of running a financial planning practice – including prospecting for new clients, scheduling client appointments, and conducting client meetings.
- Conducting client meetings, designing tailored recommendations, to help clients achieve financial planning needs.
Training and Development Opportunities:
- Interns will obtain the Ohio Life, Accident, and Health insurance licensing prior to orientation, with the opportunity to obtain the Series 6 and 63.
- Orientation and classroom-style training which includes case studies, instruction from experienced advisors, and development of sales and communication skills through role play
- Individual and group coaching with industry mentors on a weekly basis after formal orientation
- Outside speakers on financial planning topics
- Travel opportunities to annual conferences to further new advisor development
- Internships are structured as a semester experience (12-16 weeks), with opportunities for multiple semester internships
- Students are expected to be available 15-20 hours if participating in the internship during the academic year and 40 hours during the summer.
- Internships are paid in the form of stipends and commissions.
- Interns will earn $1,000 per semester through stipend program, commissions are uncapped.
- Interns also can earn up to an additional $1,000 in bonus compensation each semester
- Junior or Senior at a local university – with focus in business, finance, or sales
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Leadership experience in campus organization or leadership role at work
- Industry experience or previous internships
- Involvement in one or more campus organizations
- Availability based on semester application is received
About Northwestern Mutual - Akron/Canton
Northwestern Mutual has been helping families and businesses achieve financial security for 160 years. Through a distinctive, whole-picture planning approach including both insurance and investments, we empower people to be financially confident. We combine the expertise of our financial professionals with a personalized digital experience and leading-edge technology to best serve our clients. With $250.4 billion in assets, $28.2 billion in revenues, and more than $1.6 trillion worth of life insurance protection in force, Northwestern Mutual delivers financial security to more than 4.4 million people who rely on us for life, disability income and long-term care insurance, annuities, brokerage and advisory services, trust services, and discretionary portfolio management solutions. The company holds more than $100 billion of client assets as a part of its wealth management company and investment services. We’re continuing to grow, and we believe diversity makes us stronger as we help shape the future of financial security.
Job Type: Internship